Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old June 25, 2014   #16
travis
Tomatovillian™

When estimating the F1 fruit size in a cross, I have used the following formula which has be fairly reliable, not exact because growing conditions can strongly influence fruit size contrary to what the genetic potential would give:

The square root of A x B = F1 size.

So with yours, I estimated the F1 size will be the square root of 3 to 4 ounces x 8 to 12 ounces or roughly the square root of 24 to 48 ounces, or 5 to 7 ounces more or less.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2014   #17
Sicilianu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
When estimating the F1 fruit size in a cross, I have used the following formula which has be fairly reliable, not exact because growing conditions can strongly influence fruit size contrary to what the genetic potential would give:

The square root of A x B = F1 size.

So with yours, I estimated the F1 size will be the square root of 3 to 4 ounces x 8 to 12 ounces or roughly the square root of 24 to 48 ounces, or 5 to 7 ounces more or less.
Thanks for the info. So there's a kind of incomplete dominance with the n gene perhaps. Also where did you find that Fiaschetto di Manduria has the crimson gene?
Sicilianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2014   #18
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Travis - you told me about your fruit size prediction equation a few years ago, and by golly it seems to work pretty well in the F1. All bets are off in succeeding generations where I find mean fruit size more difficult to predict.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2014   #19
Sicilianu
Tomatovillian™

Default Fiaschetto di Manduria x Cherokee Chocolate

Here are the first green fruit of the first cross I have ever made, Fiaschetto di Manduria x Cherokee Chocolate. First two pics are pics of the parent varieties.

Last edited by Sicilianu; August 2, 2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old August 19, 2014   #20
Sicilianu
Tomatovillian™

Updated pics!! First two that I picked weighed 63 and 72 grams.