Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 16, 2014   #1
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Default Pepper Harvest Pics

http://i.imgur.com/H9l5C1B.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lCputzq.jpg

This was what I picked yesterday and took to market this morning. It's my first year having a decent pepper harvest. I have one row of plants about 45 feet long.

Other than a few Poblano and Jalepeno, they are sweet peppers: Giant Marconi, Red Marconi, Corno di Toro Yellow, Orange Blaze, and Early Sunsation.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2014   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Those are beautiful! Hope you sold them all.

KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2014   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Karen. All of the larger bells sold, falling in line with the "bells sell" market vendor wisdom, but I did take home a few of the bullhorn peppers. I think most of my customers are not familiar with any sweet pepper that is not a bell. Plus it was a rainy day, and there are a lot of other vendors with peppers right now. I priced most of the peppers in the pic at 3 for $1. In late summer, the market for peppers and tomatoes really bottoms out. Tomatoes were $1.45/lb today.
Old August 17, 2014   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Those look really good. Now what are you going to do with all of them.

My wife always suggests grilled peppers and onions with hamburger steak.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2014   #5
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I've been making salsa. It's just whatever tomatoes and peppers I have put through a food processor with garlic, lemon juice and salt. The bullhorn peppers do excel on the grill, though, I agree.

My cousin has chickens. I like stir-fried peppers with my fried eggs: http://i.imgur.com/USKKCkB.jpg

Last edited by Cole_Robbie; August 17, 2014 at 12:18 AM.
Old August 17, 2014   #6
peppero
Tomatovillian™

I have come up with a scrambled egg concoction that I enjoy very much and after reading your post thought I would share it for better or worse.
I start with an 8" cast iron frying pan with olive oil(@ a tablespoon) and bring up to temp at about a #4 setting on my dial.
Then add 2 slices of onions(diced) along with sliced or diced bell or Italian peppers(quantity depends on you). Red peppers are visually appealing.
I also like to chop up some green onion. Fresh garlic is an option although I usually add garlic powder.
A large diced mushroom is very good too.
Dice up a 4 to 6 oz tomato and to all of this I add fresh hot peppers usually jalapenos, cayennes or a portion of habanero. Heat is a personal choice.
I cover witn a lid and stir occasionally for about 5 minutes.
I then combine 2 or 3 large or extra large eggs with some canned jalapeno juice(2 tablespoons) and some shredded cheese.
When the veggie mix is ready I add the eggs and stir until I am happy with the result which takes about a minute and then cover and turn off the heat and let sit for about three minutes. I like to eat out of the frying pan as it keeps the concoction warm.
Season to taste.
Enjoy.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote