Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old August 19, 2014   #31
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Austin's Black Cherry is another purple/black cherry, and it is PL.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2014   #32
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOhio View Post
Thank you for the information, Carolyn. That is quite interesting. I will note that on my website.

I've grown Chocolate Cherry for a number of years and find it to be quite good too. Are you aware of any other black/dark cherry varieties? I have some friends in Russia digging around to see if they can locate any.

Regards,
Mike
Mike, fine to say it was bred by Vince Sapp, now deceased, and former husband of Linda Sapp who still runs TGS, but please leave out the personal info I included.

other black cherries?

Tania just posted about Austin's Black Cherry and one of my seed producers is currently growing a new one called Black Opal which I'll offer in my seed offer next Jan if all goes well, and Kazachka is also a dark cherry, but I'd need to explain a few traits of that last one with you. And I do like it and could send you some seeds since I've been offering it in my annual seed offer here.

Carolyn
Old August 29, 2014   #33
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Austin's Black Cherry is another purple/black cherry, and it is PL.
Thanks, Tania. I love the black cherry varieties. It's on my list.

Mike
MikeInOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2014   #34
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Mike, fine to say it was bred by Vince Sapp, now deceased, and former husband of Linda Sapp who still runs TGS, but please leave out the personal info I included.

other black cherries?

Tania just posted about Austin's Black Cherry and one of my seed producers is currently growing a new one called Black Opal which I'll offer in my seed offer next Jan if all goes well, and Kazachka is also a dark cherry, but I'd need to explain a few traits of that last one with you. And I do like it and could send you some seeds since I've been offering it in my annual seed offer here.

Carolyn
Carolyn,

As always, thank you for the information. Yes, I understand about Mr Sapp.

I would really like to try Black Opal, if you are successful. I grew quite a few cherry/grape varieties this year and had a bumper crop. It's really amazing what some varieties will yield. The darks are my favorites, but the big producers are hard to pass up. Mischka, Dormitor, Riesentraube, Indigo Rose and Jaune Flamme each produced more fruit than I could process. I'd love to have a new black variety to fool around with.

Please tell me about Kazachka.

Thanks,
Mike
Old August 30, 2014   #35
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Here's a Black Opal that isn't very new. I got it in 2012.

http://www.heirloomsolutions.com/Bla...mato_p/565.htm

other black cherries?

Carolyn[/QUOTE]
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2014   #36
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post

other black cherries?

Carolyn
[/QUOTE]

I first saw it on Reinhard Kraft's list in Germany, no he doesn't sell seeds but we've been trading seeds for many years, and it was new to mea nd he sent the seeds along with many others I'd requested.

I then saw it at Aaron Whaley's commercial site and found it was bred in England, and when I just did a Google search I found thefollowing:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=black+opal+tomato

All the initial links are from England,which makes sense and I didn't know that JeffCasey, who has a website and posts here,also listed it for 2014.

I just looked to see who was doing seed production for me and it wasn't any of my four regular producers, so then I remembered I'd asked for more volunteers since there were many orphans who needed a home and found out that it was Fred Hempel, I was so surprised he volunteered, who was growing it out. I also sent him some other new ones that I thought might work for his breeding projects.

Since Black Opal has Black Cherry in it, and I know Black Cherry very well, I'll be eager to see how it performs

Aha, I just noted that it was one being grown for me here at home by Freda, but my plants were put out late,several didn't survive and she hasn't brought in anything labelled Black Opal yet, so I don't know if it's a survivor or a RIP one.

Carolyn
Old September 27, 2014   #37
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Charley,

Sorry for not responding sooner. I didn't see your post until now.

I'd love to get some seeds from you. Thanks for the offer!

Let me know about the traits you referenced. You can send me a private mail or start a new post. I'm interested to hear what you have to say.

Thanks,
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post

other black cherries?

Carolyn
[/QUOTE]