Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 28, 2021   #1
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Default Taste the tomato, take a picture of it and get the seeds

At home, I accumulate tomato seeds, which I would like to taste, but I am not able to grow more than eighty indeterminate plants and twenty determinant plants in due time. My window is small and I am no longer able to take care of more than 80 cherry tomatoes in the garden. Every year I get more seeds, more seeds age and I'm sorry not to do anything about it. That's why I decided that sometime in mid-April I would sow seeds of fifty varieties, which I would be able to grow on the balcony. Sometime in mid-June, I will put them in two tunnels in the garden, which will protect the flowers against unwanted insect pollination. For bush tomatoes, this should be no problem. Indeterminant I would lead on one a stem that would end after second inflorescence, so ripe tomatoes should were soon. I hope I can do it.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2021   #2
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir, what does your balcony look like? How big is it? Which way does it face? Is it a loggia or a real balcony jutting out? And how much of it can you use?

I am asking because I believe you have just(?) discovered a great reserve of yours. My balconies (a loggia and a balcony) have served me very well since I started with growing toms and peppers intensively.

Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2021   #3
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

For this project, I chose the seeds of these tomatoes for this year.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Projekt.jpg (117.8 KB, 316 views)
Old April 6, 2021   #4
Lotte
Tomatovillian™

Wow what a list, many I haven't heard about.
Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2021   #5
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir, are there two RAF varieties one det and one indet under the same name?
Milan HP
Old April 26, 2021   #6
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I sowed the tomato seeds on Tuesday and today, after six days, most of them germinated (marked *). I'll wait a few more days and sow again. Some varieties will be lost to me (I have no other seeds). I didn't expect much to germinate seeds from Carolyn's legacy, I just tried it (King Humbert, Joe's Pink Oxheart, Carolyn Pink ...). I want to try to germinate these with the help of GA 3, which I have already bought.
If I can do it, then in addition to subjective taste testing, I also want to do some measurement of juice, Brix sweetness and pH. I have the necessary things for this measurement, a refractometer and a digital pH tester.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Výsev.jpg (126.0 KB, 246 views)
Old April 27, 2021   #7
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Mr Big, Bowerbirds Yellow is a Dwarf around 1 meter in height and Dwarf Orange Grosse Lisse, which I now refer to Bowerbirds Orange as they have been distinctly different from Orange Grosse Lisse, is less than that, lucky to make 600mm high this season just gone.
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2021   #8
Oliver
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir, how do you like Amana Orange?
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2021   #9
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default AO

growing it this yr for the first time
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2021   #10
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Vladimir, how do you like Amana Orange?
One of the best oranges I've grown
Vladimír
Old May 15, 2021   #11
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I have 47 varieties of tomatoes on the balcony, which I will grow in the framework of this project. I expect to put them in the garden in two to three weeks.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2922.jpg (191.4 KB, 129 views)
Old June 4, 2021   #12
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Finally, the weather in our country calmed down, so on Tuesday I planted all indeterminate varieties of this project. The seedlings were quite small, four to five leaves, so I shaded them against the bright sun. Today I canceled the shading, the plants look good. Weather forecast for the next week for tomatoes excellent daytime temperatures around 25 ° C night over 10 ° C. So far, I have determinant seedlings on the balcony, I want to know when they will have the first flowers (after how many true leaves will they have). Watching at home is easier for me than in a bed in the garden.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2983.jpg (97.8 KB, 105 views)
Old June 4, 2021   #13
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello Vladimir,
considering they are so small, they really look all right. I'm trying to guess what the staples are for. No success.

Yeah, the warm weather is great (even though it was supposed to come 3 weeks ago). My poor weather-beaten tomatoes have reacted almost miraculously. And I think I now understand why my "fermentation heating" didn't work. Fermentation never started due to low temperature in the soil.
Milan HP
Old June 5, 2021   #14
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

If you mean the iron in the shape of trapeze, they were there so that the shielding fabric did not lie directly on the planted plants.
Vladimír
Old June 9, 2021   #15
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Probably the most difficult will be to describe the taste of tomatoes.
This year I grow 120 varieties of tomatoes. I have them divided into three groups and I have set different priorities for each. Of course, I am also interested in taste in each of these groups. I could simply describe the taste as follows: excellent, very good, good and disgusting. Some also describe taste by such a point system from one to ten. I cannot use it , because I don't have the taste memory that someone may have. So I will try to solve the taste by comparison, even if this is complicated.
Group 1: 20 varieties of early determinant varieties - I am mainly interested in DTM
Group 2: 20 indeterminate varieties for which I want to make seeds for future cultivation
3rd group of 80 varieties that should bring me the main harvest taste tomatoes.
For all, I will take pictures of the fruit, weigh it, measure their pH and Brix, etc.
For comparison, I show in the picture how the taste of TatianaTOMATO base is evaluated.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Determinanty 2021.jpg (99.8 KB, 55 views)