Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 22, 2011   #1
les matzek
Tomatovillian™

Default superroots air pots

has anybody tried the aboce ?, they are made in the uk
and they are pricey, regards.

les
les matzek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2011   #2
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Have not tried any of them. I remember there was a thread here about this US company but the discussion did not go too far.

http://www.rootmaker.com/products_propagation.php
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2011   #3
les matzek
Tomatovillian™

thanks for the reply i read the posts rootmaker pots
but i am talking about superroots air pots they are
made in england the rootmaker pots are made in the
us thanks anyway, regards.

les
Old March 22, 2011   #4
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Sorry, Les, I was in a hurry and did not explain that I meant I have not tried any of the kinds out there, and was adding the link to the US company. I did look up the superroots website also. I think they all rely on getting the roots to not circle the pot but to grow outward and air prune.

Both companies are sure pricey (proud of their products). Maybe it is worth it, don't know. Hopefully someone who has used them will chime in.

Walter
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2011   #5
MJACTIVIST
Tomatovillian™

I've used the AirPots and I wanted to compared them to Smart Pots, what I normally use. I found that the Airpots didn't do as well as the SP. I think that its b/c the Smart pots allow the roots to grow out in any direction and be air pruned, but the Airpots have specific air holes that the roots will grow to. So while some of your roots are being air pruned they are also being constricting where they can grow.
Just my .02
L8
MJ
MJACTIVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2011   #6
austinnhanasmom
Tomatovillian™

I've used AP and SP and think they produce very similar results if you leave the plant in the pot for awhile. If the plant is started in one of these and then transferred to another container, or the ground, I prefer the root development of the AP. The AP dries out quicker, so must be watched closely in the heat of summer.
austinnhanasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2011   #7
puttgirl
Tomatovillian™

I started a thread not long ago asking about smartpots-if I get some time, I'm going to try to make my own (only a couple). Not so sure how the thread will hold out though, but if they make it through one summer, I'll be happy.
puttgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2011   #8
igarden
Tomatovillian™

i ws wondering if these were like the root trainers? i purchased some root trainers from Thompson & Morgan last year and really liked them. they set a great straight root system, and bought me time if i couldn't get the plants in the ground right away. i used them for pinon trees, fava beans, and corn. i see that they're in the states now, that Park's now has them...

http://www.parkseed.com/gardening/PD/6196
Old March 29, 2011   #9
salix
Tomatovillian™

Those Root trainers are great for corn (yes, I have to start them inside and early in short-season land), have used them for many years. Unfortunately, I find them quite flimsy and the price of replacement "books" is increasing yearly. Have gone to using the large celled planting inserts from good ol' Lee Valley.
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2011   #10
les matzek
Tomatovillian™

the superroots air pots i am talking about can be found at www.hydrofarm.com they are not like root-tainers which i think are made in texas ??, Superoots are nothing like root trainers pots,

regards.

les
Old May 27, 2011   #11
jdmfish
Tomatovillian™

Are these the pots that's mentioned in the title?

http://www.superoots.com/air_intro.htm

Bought 4 of them this year. Found them for the same price as the cloth "air pots", but I had to pay S&H, so the SR-AP's cost me $20 shipped for 4 (6x4 and .8g) but I also bought some nutrients too, since I had to pay for S&H.

Sorry for the terrible picture. There's some cannabis growers who use these, and rave about their effectiveness. Not only are they much more effective, a smaller pot could be used, if space is tight. Some were growing in 5-7g standard HD buckets, and were growing the same size plant in 3g SR-AP containers. (As long as you keep an eye on the moisture level)

Furthermore, and not really important, but they are very "handsome" looking pots when you have a plant in them. Very neat looking pots.

[I hope I don't get in trouble for mentioning the "c" word here..]
jdmfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011   #12
austinnhanasmom
Tomatovillian™

Only issue I have seen with these is that they dry out quickly. I have some potatoes growing in large AP and need to add an auto-dripline; or my plants will be toasted.
austinnhanasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011   #13
les matzek
Tomatovillian™

i have ordered 6 8 inch airpots from
flora hydroponics i hope the work as
they say ??.

les
Old May 27, 2011   #14
jdmfish
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by les matzek View Post
i have ordered 6 8 inch airpots from
flora hydroponics i hope the work as
they say ??.

les

From the pictures I've seen of the rootballs after cultivation, the SR-AP had slightly more root structure than the cloth "air pots"/smart pots, and significantly more root structure than traditional pots. Furthermore, his testing indicated he could get hydroponic-like growth and cultivation, in a soil based container.

Which is why I went ahead and ordered a few. Figured if anything, I won't be out that much, and I can see if they work or not. A poster on another board recommended to root your plants in these, and transplant into regular pots if you live in a very hot climate, which I do, and grow outside (which I do, most of the day).

His recommendations were the 6x4" "starter cell", and the .8gal (5.9x6.3), for starters.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Les - did you order the the .8gal (5.9x6.3) or the 2gal (8.7x9)?

And this is the cheapest place I found for the SR-AP:

http://quailmountainranch.com/pots-c...s-c-14_53.html

Seller has all sizes - some might not be listed on his website. He sells them on eBay as well.
jdmfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011   #15
les matzek
Tomatovillian™

hi jdmfish i made a mistake i ordered the
8 gallon size not 8 inch i hope there are
bigger than the size you posted above
regards.

les