Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old June 29, 2010   #31
Mt.Imagine
Tomatovillian™

Glenn, that is great! I envy your harvest. My trees are getting much bigger and look pretty good (see below).

Mt.Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2011   #32
nangisha
Tomatovillian™

Wow you guys growing its too.

Here we call it "terong belanda" (translated as Duch Eggplant). I can find it here but none as sweet as the one I found in my dad hometown Berastagi. Where I can find so many of them.

Here we usually made it into syrup, and juice. My dad favorite to made it into fruit juice combine with sweet orange and carrot. Just put it all in juicer.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9IyFhx4Uv2...g_belanda2.jpg
nangisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2011   #33
pinakbet
Tomatovillian™

trista,

do we have those here in SEA?
pinakbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2011   #34
nangisha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinakbet View Post
trista,

do we have those here in SEA?
I think we had it. Its was endemic plant in my dad hometown Berastagi, North Sumatra. Berastagi famous for it, biwa ( loguat) and purple passion fruit.

Tamarillo we got here usually colored purple when unripe and turn into red when mature.
Old April 13, 2011   #35
pinakbet
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nangisha View Post
I think we had it. Its was endemic plant in my dad hometown Berastagi, North Sumatra. Berastagi famous for it, biwa ( loguat) and purple passion fruit.

Tamarillo we got here usually colored purple when unripe and turn into red when mature.
If you guys have it, there is a chance that we have it also. If not, could you spare me a few seeds?
pinakbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2011   #36
nangisha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinakbet View Post
If you guys have it, there is a chance that we have it also. If not, could you spare me a few seeds?
last week I go to punclut, were I found it the last time but not found it. If you not mind waiting I can ask my grandma to send me some. But its will be take times depend on avaibility of fruit. They still recover from mount sibayak eruption. I let you know when I had it.
Old February 13, 2012   #37
Mt.Imagine
Tomatovillian™

Interesting that they grow wild in Indonesia.

The seedlings I posted pictures of and talked about here all fruited in their first season; actually I found I planted them too close together, so I thinned out two of them. I found these seeds, from the 'common tamarillo' produced fruit that was just o.k. I found fruits for one of the superior, large red varieties locally and am starting all over again and trying to germinate them and grow new plants. If successfull, I will only keep one of my old seedlings and grow three plants of this variety with better fruit.

If anyone here has viable seeds of orange or yellow varieties for trade or SASE, I'd really love that. I bought several seed packets from tradewinds for a yellow variety but the seeds never germinated.
Old February 13, 2012   #38
Glenn 50
Tomatovillian™

I will have Tango the new subacid tamarillo fruiting in a few months. The bush is about 10ft by 10 feet and about 8ft high.
Glenn 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2012   #39
Mt.Imagine
Tomatovillian™

That sounds like a really good variety. How are your other tamarillos doing, Glenn? Do you still grow Bold Gold?
Old April 18, 2015   #40
Clowse
Tomatovillian™

Default Cyphomandra fragans

Hi Glenn.I am originally from Auckland and have been growing all sorts of cyphomandra in Birmingham uk for the last 4 years.I have 4 tango tamarillos,2 cyphomandra Hartwegiis,3 cyphomandra corymbiflora,2 cyphomandra abutiloides,1 x cyphomandra fragans and a lot of cyphomandra casana seeds hopefully germinating in my propergater at the moment.Just wondering how you got on with your cyphomandra fragans plants.Unfortunately I only have 1 plant and cyphomandra fragans plants are not self pollinating,so I need another plant.Would it be possible to buy some cyphomandra fragans seeds off you.Any help or advice you have on this plant would be much appreciated,as the 1 plant I have is only 2 months old.All the best Carlos
Clowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2021   #41
Barnacle
Tomatovillian™

Default Did they germinate?

Hi Clouse,

I know this is an old thread.

Did your Casana seeds germinate? If yes, did they fruit?

Thanks.

Kind regards,

Bill
Barnacle is offline   Reply With Quote