Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 13, 2020   #1
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Default Early Girl with potato leaf leaves

Been growing Early Girls for the last 10 years but this is the first year plants had potato leaf style leaves.They're doing very well with lots of tomatoes but none have ripen yet.Only other tomato plant I have grown with those leaves is Brandywine.

Last edited by cjp1953; July 13, 2020 at 09:50 PM.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2020   #2
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

There is a PL version of Early Girl...apparently "de-hybridized". My neighbor grows Early Girls that he buys as seedlings from a local nursery, and they are PL. My understanding is that Early Girl (F1) is RL... The PL version is apparently called PSR-37. From a friend:

"This is from a discussion on Tomatoville a few years ago. A member at IDIG had offered PSR-37 seeds, the open pollinated version of Early Girl developed by Tim Peters of Peters seed & research, I asked for and received some. I did grow it out, potato leaved as I recall but standard early girl fare so didn’t grow it again. Might it be possible these are from those seeds?

From the discussion - "Just thought I'd mention, in case those searching for PSR-37 haven't found it, that sandhillpreservation dot com has it in their 2017 listings

"PSR-37: Mid-season, Indeterminate, Potato Leaf, exceptionally high yields of 6 to 8 oz. round, red globe fruits. Pkt. $2.00 Certified Organic Seed"

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2020   #3
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

What is the flavor of the tomato? Worth growing?
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2020   #4
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

I recall reading (Pam Pierce, Golden Gate Gardening?) that a "selection" of Early Girl (i.e. dehybridized) is known as Visitation Valley, named after the San Francisco neighborhood of Visitacion Valley.

I've grown VV before. My impression is that the fruit tastes better cooked than raw.
GreenThumbGal_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2020   #5
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I start and sell lots of EG plants in the Spring. About 1 out of 100 is PL, which is all but the same as RL in the F1. I have tinkered with these I do not find any worth in stabilizing them, the original F1 is much better
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2020   #6
Johnniemar
Tomatovillian™

I tried what they called dirty girl. Which was a stabilized plant dehybridized version of early girl. It was no good. Much too small fruit and disease prone.
Johnniemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2020   #7
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I always found the taste very good or I would not have grown it that many years.This is the first time I have come across this type of leaf structure. .Everything in my garden is doing very well.I have picked a few Hungarian Hot block peppers and they have very good flavor.I trust the person who grew my plants this year,it's possible they are a different strain and am looking forward to trying these.
Old July 14, 2020   #8
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

did you get that from me, Carl? I don't recall any of them being potato leaf if you did and I truly apologize if you that came from me.
how about your jaunne flamme? are they what you were expecting? I haven't grown those before and mine are about 4oz per tomato trusses looking just like a cherry tomato truss.
Old July 14, 2020   #9
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Don't feel bad,the plants are doing great!!!!!I have tomatoes on all plants different sizes of course.It's possible the tags may of been mixed by me as I was separating all the plants to give to both daughters.It's no big deal,they remind me of Brandywine but I did not get any this year.Again not your fault.Only reason I think they are Early Girl is that was the first tray I took to the garden when I planted and they are the first in the row.Again I may have had them mixed in with other types.
Old July 15, 2020   #10
friedgreen51
Tomatovillian™

Default Potato Leaf Early Girl

Hi,
These sound interesting, particularly after the description of doing very well with lots of tomatoes.
Are you going to save seed?
friedgreen51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2020   #11
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I have not thought about that.This year I bought my plants from clkeiper,they are doing incredible.I might continue to just let her grow them.Saves me time and I get to support a local business.She was so kind and even loaded them into my car.Thank you again!!!!!