Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 20, 2014   #1
alabill
Tomatovillian™

Default strarting rootstock

I've read conflicting info on timing rootstock to be ready for grafting when heirlooms are the right size. Do grafters starts them early? If so, how early?
alabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #2
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I use hybrid tomato seed for rootstock and plant them the same time as the heirloom. But if you are using one of the special rootsock like Maxifort, I dont really know, they might need a head start?
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014   #3
alabill
Tomatovillian™

I started my maxifort rootstock the same time as my heirlooms. They all emerged yesterday (3 day germination with a heating pad underneath) at the same time. The maxiforts look a little thinner but are the same height today. So far so good.
Old February 22, 2014   #4
smithmal
Tomatovillian™

Depends on the rootstock. Some rootstock emerge faster than your scion variety you're interested in grafting. Some are much slower. I'm using eggplant rootstock for example, and I've read you need to start those a full two weeks before your scion.

smithmal
smithmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2014   #5
alabill
Tomatovillian™

Interested on why you chose eggplant as a rootstock? I'm new to grafting and I'm finding all sorts of different ways people are choosing to do it.
Old February 22, 2014   #6
kurt
Tomatovillian™

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...light=grafting
This was just discussed recently here if you have not read already.Consensus is to stagger scion and rootstock germ/plantings to get the right diameters.I myself have do not graft maters but do graft mangoes,lychees,etc here in FL.We do the "cleft"graft as ChrisK mentioned in the above posts and works the best.More surface area,no slippage and misalignment.Punch in grafting in the search block and you will get years of info posted here(if you have not done already).
Old February 27, 2014   #7
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Alabill:
I believe eggplant is used for rootstock when soil drainage is relatively poor. I havent used eggplant for rootstock, but that is what I have read.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote