Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 28, 2014   #31
Ken4230
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
I've been experimenting with DE for a few seasons, but never experimented with vermiculite much so it'll be interesting how this shakes out as far as root growth and overall seedling health in comparison.
I've used vermiculite with Jiffy Mix for several years. I don't have an exact ratio, a guess would be 2.5 to 1. When it looks and feels right, i sow the seeds in the mix. i have had really good luck with this mix.

I tried replacing part of the vermiculite with DE a couple of years ago and can't tell much difference. This year, i have a few plants in straight DE, some in 50/50 DE and Jiffy Mix and some in a 3 to 1 Jiffy/DE mix.

I am still using Jiffy/vermiculite mix for most of my plants, mainly because i like the look and feel of it. If the DE seedlings do well, i may try a combination of all three. I do use Ultrasorb in all my raised beds.

Ken
Ken4230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2014   #32
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqn626 View Post
I fed them all a diluted Fish hydrolysate/humic acid/ fulvic acid mix.

Let do a cost breakdown,

Vermiculite was 2 cu feet for $20 at home depot. Cheaper if you buy from farm supply store. Could substitute Perlite probably for 4 cubic feet for 10 dollars.

Cocoir was 9 dollars for 2-2.5 Cubic Feet

LGM potting soil was 10 dollar 2- cubic feet.

Empire Builder Potting soil 16 dollar per 2 cubic feet.

I would go with a coco coir/Vermiculite mix. It's cost effective. I would think the coco coir alone would hold up too much water. Not to mention the coco coir has a habit of robbing calcium and Magnesium. It would seem the coco coir would maintain better heat retention due to the fibers but that my speculation, i didn't have a thermometer.

When fluffing up the coco coir i made sure to rinse it out repeatedly 3-4 times. I also added Dolomite lime to the mix. You can use Gysum and epsom salt.

I will take pictures of the roots when im repotting later today.
Very much looking forward to those root development photos.

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2014   #33
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

Here are some root pictures.

Probably should of waiting a little longer to repot. I only repotted about 8 of them for now.
tqn626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2014   #34
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

3/6/14 I planted a couple into cups. Here are the ones left waiting for potting. Going to do it tomorrow.

Old March 14, 2014   #35
Timomac
Tomatovillian™

Great stuff!! My inner science guy is really enjoying this!!
Timomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2014   #36
sergeant69
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timomac View Post
Great stuff!! My inner science guy is really enjoying this!!

my inner science guy consists of spongebob making crabby patties. I wish I could understand half of the mixes/sprays/mediums/ chemical analysis I read about on this site.
sergeant69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2014   #37
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeant69 View Post
my inner science guy consists of spongebob making crabby patties. I wish I could understand half of the mixes/sprays/mediums/ chemical analysis I read about on this site.

I know how you feel, I think some of it is a bit much.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2014   #38
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

3/15/14

These are the ones i kept inside. The rest are all outside now.
Old March 18, 2014   #39
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Very cool looking pics.. I just want to say.. my seedlings germinated within 5 days using miracle grow seed starter potting mix.. it is not potting mix .. it is basically fortified peat seedling mix.. why they use the term potting mix with seedling mix I don't know.. what I do know from experience is potting soil is a no no for starting from seed. So far so good using this mg seed starter.. another thing the instructions don't instruct you right about thoroughly mixing (i used gloves) by hand with water because it is peat and very none absorbant as a dry mix,,once moistened though .. it stays good and doesn't dry out like typical heavier potting mix which is not recommended for seed starter.