Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 15, 2014   #1
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

Default Seed medium test

So after my first set of seedlings that I started late January seem to all be stunted/dead/didn't germinate. I'm starting a new batch to test the soil and the seeds.

From left to right, 100%Vermiculite, 100% Coco coir, 50% Vermiculite/Coco Coir, LGM Potting Soil, and last which I used last year 50% Empire Builder/50% Vermiculite. Seeds planted on 2/15/14.

All seeds are started under 2 three foot T5 HO 6500k Lightbulbs with a 17 watt heat mat under them.

Amish Paste, Cherokee, and Brandywine were started with the paper towel method 2/13/14. Black Krim and Sugar lump were planted straight in the medium.

Source of Seeds

Amish Paste - Rareseeds.com (Give a lot of seeds)
Amish Paste - Tomatofest (Barely any seeds, seeds are tiny)
Cherokee Purple - Siskiyou Seeds (They give you a LOT of seeds)
Peacevine Cherry - Siskiyou Seeds (A lot of seed)
Brandy Wine - Tomatofest (skimp on seeds)
Black Krim - Tomatofest (Skimp on seeds)
Sugar Lump - Tomatofest ( Skimp on seeds)

I'm not sure why tomatofest gives you so few tomato seeds. The amish paste seeds were extremely small compare to the ones from Baker Creek. I'm not sure if it a different strain or not.

tqn626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2014   #2
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?IEVCS 11 September 2013 Seedling Soil

I notice one has to be careful about the number of seeds per package now. At one time this was not even considered, since there was always plenty.I usually get enough, since my requirements are for a small number, but the small number per package can be annoying.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2014   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The skimpy place you mentioned is one of those highfalutin places where you pay a high price and get little to show for it.

They are $1.00 higher per pack than where I get my seeds.

My wife bought one of their books and it was more of a coffee table book than anything of real use.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2014   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Take a little trip to your local Auto Zone and see if they have any UltraSorb. If they do get a bag and try it as a seed starting medium. I think you will be amazed at the results.

A couple of cautions on using UltraSorb. It needs to be bottom watered. The containers need small holes in them or if they have larger ones you need to cover them with something that will allow the flow of water but not let the UltraSorb fall out. It has no fertilizer value so shortly after the seeds are up they will need a little dilute fertilizer.

The advantages I have found using UltraSorb. It has almost eliminated damping off. The germination rates are far higher than I ever had with any other seed starting medium. Germination is usually much faster especially with the very difficult to germinate seeds like cilantro, spinach and peppers. It is much cheaper than most of the other high quality seed starting mediums and more readily available.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2014   #5
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

2/17/14

3 Cherokee pop up from coco coir, potting soil, and Hybrid.

Old February 17, 2014   #6
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Very interesting thread. Usefull. Nice work.

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2014   #7
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Very interesting thread. Usefull. Nice work.

Marsha

I'm going to do some more experiments with seed germination. Once this batch works out i'm going to test Fulvic and Humic Acid on germination rate/speed.

In the summer i'm testing fulvic/humic acid, compost tea, fungal compost (which im making right now), and some other things.

If any of you want to buy humic acid i recommend Terra Vita sp-90 or BioAG Ful-Humix. For Fulvic acid go with BioAg Ful-Fulvic.

Can't wait to start tests! I keep everyone updated.
Old February 18, 2014   #8
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Very nice pics! I wasn't expecting a follow up so soon!

I can see your tray bowing in the center where the seedlings are popping up. This is where soil is the warmest. Do you have a thermometer where you can monitor the temp? Could your first attempt have failed due to overheating? It's happened to me many times

-Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2014   #9
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Very nice pics! I wasn't expecting a follow up so soon!

I can see your tray bowing in the center where the seedlings are popping up. This is where soil is the warmest. Do you have a thermometer where you can monitor the temp? Could your first attempt have failed due to overheating? It's happened to me many times

-Lisa
Ya, the tray is bowing but it not actually hitting the bottom. The tray im using is kind of weird. It a hard plastic not like the cheap ones. The top tray is actually sitting about 1/2 to 3/4th an inch off the bottom leaving an air space. I pour water in that space. The water should be warmish and evaporating up.

I need to get a heat thermometer. I actually checked the seeds at night and some cherokee are popping up from the far right side. I will take pictures when i get home from work.

I highly doubt overheating cause my tomatoes to die. I think it was a fungus problem. I have some Longevity plants that developed brown spots.

I actually germinated the cherokee 2 days before i stuck them in the soil in a wet paper towel and plastic bag right on top of the t5 lamp.
Old February 18, 2014   #10
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Default my 2014 seeding project

Hello all from northern new jersey, wow what a lot of snow pack on my beds!! Glad I turned them after adding buckets of manure and fall mulched leaves before all this snow! even before all this snow, I had the opportunity to dig in and bury some fish carcasses after ice fishing a few times early in December. But this is record snow.. this next thaw will probably cause flooding in this ny metro region.. As for seeds, I have a few favorites from last years pack i want to grow again because they were great eats.. hybrid super beef steaks.. also my jersey friend here gifted me a few krim seeds which will be exciting to try and germinate too. I planned ahead and back in 2013 dec, i bought 72 cell seeding greenhouse kits with 6 inch domes and heatpads.. also low watt grow led bulbs for to mount above my trays. Latest addition was at the local dollar store.. by chance , happened upon seed pks for four for a dollar.. and dome trays too dozen cell each .. these will be great for my spice plants like basil sage dill etc. also bought yellow and green bell pepper seeds .. cucs, squash and swisschard seeds. I just need a quality seed medium to choose for growing from seed. Last year , I wasn't impressed with the seed medium I used.. seems like too much twigs etc can make all the difference germinating seedlings. was thinking of trying those little peat moss pods or a paper towel like i read on these forums instead of pushing the seeds in with a pencil half inch under the medium soilin the trays. any suggestions appreciated tia john

Last edited by nnjjohn; February 18, 2014 at 06:18 PM. Reason: NOT FINISHED
nnjjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2014   #11
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

Here some more updates 2/18/14. I'm amazed the black krim sprouted. About 4 days to sprout.

I wouldn't use the peat moss pods since they really restrict the root growth. The coco coir/ vermiculite looks good although it is in the center so it has more heat but the LGM doesn't look so hot. Keep in mind when using coco coir you'll need to rinse it out multiple times or buy a good brand. Coco Coir has a lot of salt. Not to mention you'll need to fertilize later on. Also coco coir loves to bind up calcium and Magnesium so you have to either add epsom salt and gysum or dolomite lime.

Last edited by tqn626; February 18, 2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old February 19, 2014   #12
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

2/19/14

Old February 19, 2014   #13
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I am following this thread with much interest. To me it looks so far like the 2 coir trials are doing the best, and the potting soil is just dismal. i would love to see a coir vs peat trial, but this is great for now. Thank you for this thread.

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2014   #14
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I am following this thread with much interest. To me it looks so far like the 2 coir trials are doing the best, and the potting soil is just dismal. i would love to see a coir vs peat trial, but this is great for now. Thank you for this thread.

Marsha
Ya, i'm saddened by the potting soil, its directly in the middle with a lot of heat. It was extremely fluffy when dry but it feels like wet clay when wet.
Old February 19, 2014   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

reading the title to this thread (Seed Medium Test)from day one has had me thinking of something.
What would and who would be a medium for a seed seance.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; February 19, 2014 at 11:10 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote