Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 20, 2012   #1
GaryStPaul
Tomatovillian™

Default Daconil need surfactant?

I've seen a few references to this, but nothing definitive. My experience using Daconil for the first time this morning: it didn't cover or "stick" very well, even though I shook the mixture in the sprayer pretty vigorously. Do you think a surfactant like dish-washing liquid or Castile soap would help here?
GaryStPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I always add a few drops of dish washing liquid to my mix and shake it well. I find I get much more thorough coverage without having to spray as much solution.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Gary, when using Daconil I have never felt the need to use a surfactant. As you know when sprayed at the right dilution it's a milky white and not thin, so it sticks until washed off by rain, at least for me.

My two Lillian Gibson rose bushes are about to bloom again this year, so spectacular they are and hardy, and thanks to you kind sir.
Old May 20, 2012   #4
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Gary, when using Daconil I have never felt the need to use a surfactant. As you know when sprayed at the right dilution it's a milky white and not thin, so it sticks until washed off by rain, at least for me.

My two Lillian Gibson rose bushes are about to bloom again this year, so spectacular they are and hardy, and thanks to you kind sir.
I just finished spraying again this afternoon. I have to say I have been very pleased with how it seems to cover and stick all on its own. The opaque milky appearance helps in gauging the coverage as well.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Gary I forgot to say the following although I recently said so in a thread here somewhere.

One should not add anything to Daconil when spraying b'c the dilution from the concentrate is so measured that the chlorothalonil molecoues will attach to and block the fungal attachment sites on the upper leaf surface.

If other stuff is added there can be association between molecules that don't allow for complete blocking.

I found that out quite a few years ago when I wanted to add seaweed stuff to the sprayer along with Daconil, had second thoughts and Called Ortho and got a great guy who explained all of this to me.

Who knows what soap will do and who knows what spreader/sticker will do?

And yes, I do know that one can buy Daconil with a spreader/sticker, here's a prior thread from Tville:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=4511\\

But it makes sense to me that what the Ortho person told me about not altering the concentration of molecules and intereaction with the Daconil molecules that changes the effective covering of the fungal attachement sites. makes sense.
Old May 21, 2012   #6
DogsandDirt
Tomatovillian™

I'm using up a bottle of ready-to-use Daconil and it definitely sticks well. The problem I have is it's so thick it doesn't want to spread evenly. I've thought about actually painting it on but I'm afraid of spreading spores and I already have enough fungal issues.
DogsandDirt is offline   Reply With Quote