Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 14, 2012   #1
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Super tea trial

Today, I am starting a trial for a tea to feed the vegetables. The ingredients:

- 2 cups of my own totally vegetable based compost.
- 3 oz of alfalfa meal.
- 2 oz of kelp extract.
- 1 oz of molasses.
- 2 oz of fish fertilizer.
- 1 teaspoon of Great White mycorrhizae.

I am planning to brew the tea for 2 days. My only concern is the fish fertilizer. In this hot weather it will probably stink and also cleaning the container will be difficult. Additionally, I am not an expert in this but it might be an overkill for the beneficial bacteria because of high Nitrogen. In any case, I will make the next batch without fish fertilizer.

In this tea I am very excited about alfalfa meal (and cold-water treated kelp extract). Alfalfa meal includes the natural growth stimulant Triacontanol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Super Tea Ingredients.jpg (234.1 KB, 33 views)
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012   #2
The Future
Tomatovillian™

How are you aerating this? Also, is your alfalfa organic? Lots of GMO product around.
Old May 16, 2012   #3
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

I use air pump/air stones. Alfalfa meal is reported to be organic on the product box. I have found information about the product on this link: http://agr.wa.gov/PestFert/Fertilize...spx?pname=3609.
Old May 16, 2012   #4
The Future
Tomatovillian™

Good stuff. I have found aquarium style aeration/circulation devices much more durable than air stones. The stones clog eventually. I have have air pumps last for months only and then fail.
Old May 16, 2012   #5
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Future, which specific aeration/circulation devices would you recommend. I went to Amazon about 3 months back and honestly got into an analysis paralysis trying to determine the best product for the job. I have worm castings I wish to brew. Many of the available options had questionable reviews that left me struggling to find a clear winner.
Thanks,
Naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012   #6
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

I am using this for brewing: http://xtreme-gardening.com/xtreme-c...me-tea-brewer/. The price of the set is more or less the same as buying the pieces separately (except I paid shipping on top of it). It works great for me.
Old May 16, 2012   #7
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancethegardener View Post
Today, I am starting a trial for a tea to feed the vegetables. The ingredients:

- 2 cups of my own totally vegetable based compost.
- 3 oz of alfalfa meal.
- 2 oz of kelp extract.
- 1 oz of molasses.
- 2 oz of fish fertilizer.
- 1 teaspoon of Great White mycorrhizae.

I am planning to brew the tea for 2 days. My only concern is the fish fertilizer. In this hot weather it will probably stink and also cleaning the container will be difficult. Additionally, I am not an expert in this but it might be an overkill for the beneficial bacteria because of high Nitrogen. In any case, I will make the next batch without fish fertilizer.

In this tea I am very excited about alfalfa meal (and cold-water treated kelp extract). Alfalfa meal includes the natural growth stimulant Triacontanol.
expensive tea better be good.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012   #8
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

funny. these things seem to act just like a hydro DWC. I built mine with airstones, airpump and a water pump for Aeroponics.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012   #9
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I checked the system out Chance, but I felt it was too much for what you get. I thought one only needed a bucket with an aeration device. Shouldn't that net something under $20 in all?
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012   #10
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

You are right. The kit came with a 3 gal bucket that has a spigot, water pump, air pump, air stones, hoses, and two xtreme tea brew bags for composting. I was lazy to bring the pieces together. Total cost of the kit is reasonable though, if you want to buy the exact same pieces separately (compared with Amazon prices).
Old May 16, 2012   #11
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Alfalfa can make a pretty stinky tea as well. As for the fish fertilizer, why not add that in right before distributing your tea. You want it breaking down in the soil, not in the tea anyway.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012   #12
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Actually I just smelled the tea and it really stinks but it doesn't stink like fish . It might be alfalfa as you said. I will definitely remove fish fertilizer next time. I also don't see that lively foam on the surface.
Old May 16, 2012   #13
creister
Tomatovillian™

Alfalfa will smell very much like "booty" if you catch my meaning. I use it quite a bit in aerated teas, and the smell is always there.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012   #14
creister
Tomatovillian™

Google "Deuley's Own Little Texas Tea Brewer" and go to the dchall website. I've been following there pattern for several years, and have had very good results.

You do not always get the foaming action on the surface, and foaming is not an idicator of the quality of your tea.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012   #15
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Nice setup and very cost-effective willus also indicated. I wonder if alfalfa meal can take the place of kudzu. Do you guys have any idea about this kind of a comparison?