Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 8, 2012   #16
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

My biggest complaint about Early Girl is that it doesn't do too well here on the coast of Connecticut where we have had several seasons that just promote early and late blight. A couple of years ago we had so much rainfall during the growing season the early girls only had one or two fruits. I was growing several other hybrids at the time and of all the hybrids better boy did the best.

My opinion is that you can do much better than Early Girl. But that is just my opinion, I say keep growing it and see how you like it and how it does for you.
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012   #17
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Celebrity is going crazy here for me, did a few EG, look ok, but nothing like celebrity.
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2012   #18
Derby
Tomatovillian™

This is my first year growing from seed. Prior to that I've always purchased seedlings. I tend to think of Early Girl as being generic. It is much tastier than store purchased but there's nothing all that special about it. I averaged 4-5 oz size fruit.
Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012   #19
OldHondaNut
Tomatovillian™

It has been 25 years since I tested Early Girl but I remember that it was neither early nor prolific when I compared it to my Better Boy tomatoes. That said, I am once again interested in getting an extra week or two from at least one plant. Right now I am looking for ideas for an early tomato and I notice from a previous post that I might try Jetsetter.

I bought Valley Girl seeds, another early tomato, from Johnnys but lost them to bad weather.

Last edited by OldHondaNut; May 16, 2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: punctuation
OldHondaNut is offline   Reply With Quote