Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 13, 2011   #151
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Steve, what a great report and fabulous photos! Thank you for sharing. I am hoping you will be offering these dwarf varieties next year?

Jeannine brought me 4 dwarf plants: Mr. Snow, Summertime Green, Wild Fred, and Beryl Beauty. They all have fruits, but still quite far from ripening stage. I will report the results later, hopefully I can keep these plants alive considering what happened to my garden this year...

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2011   #152
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Tania. Yes, the first 7 dwarfs have all been good seed producers, so, depending on our germination tests and the results from Summertime Green and Dwarf Wild Fred, we hope to be able to offer all 9 new varieties this fall.

I hope Jeannine's plants do well for you - I imagine you are craving some fresh tomatoes. Please let me know if you can use seeds from any of the new dwarfs for your 2012 growouts...

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2011   #153
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Hi Tanai, just in case you need the info. They were sown on 8th May and transplanted to their buckets on June 13th..much much later than usual as the seed was at first sold out then I mamanged to get a wee bit from friends etc and then some late arriving seed..I knew it would be touch and go for maturity but wanted to give it a try.

Good Luck, mine are still OK..fingers crossed for no blight and for fruit!!

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2011   #154
tedln

Steve,

Which seed vendor will your seed be available from?

Thanks

Ted
Old August 13, 2011   #155
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
Steve,

Thanks

Ted
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Heritage_Tomato_Seed

Jeannine, thank you for the info - I was wondering what you meant by 'late start'...

Steve, thank you for the offer! I am getting the seeds from Craig for all the released dwarf varieties, so I should be all set for 2012.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2011   #156
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
Steve,

Thanks

Ted
Ted, Tania beat me to it (thanks)... I'll put a link up in the "Seed Source" section when I get them listed. Hopefully, early October, depending upon how much time my 'real' job allows.

Tania, I'll also get my dwarf individual photos posted to your database ASAP...
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2011   #157
jhoganaz
Tomatovillian™

I have a need to have as complete as possible information on the dwarf varieties to be able to make choices for the low-desert climate of Phoenix, AZ. I have some of these varieties on my web site: AZ-HeirloomGarden.org, but need to have the information cleaned by those of you that are growing out the new 7 varieties. I have obtained what I have from posts by those growing out this summer and from Tatiana's Tomatobase. The container size is for folks wanting to grow the dwarf's in containers. Thanks in advance.

Dwarf Jade Beauty
Fruit Color: Green/w Pink blossom end
Fruit Size: Medium
Fruit Shape: Oblate
Fruit Weight: 3 oz
Fruit Taste: 7 out of 10
Plant Family: DTP-Sneezy
Plant Height: 36-45”
DT Maturity: 67
Leaf Type: Potato/rugose
Plant Type: Indeterminate/Dwarf
Yield: Moderate
Container Size: 5 gal. +
Description: One of the more productive new dwarf varieties, Dwarf Jade Beauty has deep green, rugose potato leaf foliage and a very stout central stem, growing to 4 feet, and perhaps a bit more depending upon conditions. Fruits are smooth and round, ranging from 2-4 ounces, and barely change color upon ripening - though a pale pink blossom end blush develops on many of the fruit. The flesh is bright green, and the flavor is balanced, full and delicious.

Dwarf Beryl Beauty
Fruit Weight: 3-5 oz
Fruit Taste: 7.5-8 out of 10
Plant Height: 36-48”
DT Maturity: 80-85
Leaf Type: Potato/Rugose
Yield: High
Description: Mid-season. One of the more productive new dwarf varieties, Dwarf Beryl Beauty has deep green, rugose potato leaf foliage and a very stout central stem, growing to 4 feet, and perhaps a bit more depending upon conditions. Fruits are smooth and round, ranging from 3-5 ounces, and barely change color upon ripening - though a pale pink blossom end blush develops on many of the fruit. The flesh is bright green, and the flavor is balanced, full and delicious.

Dwarf Emerald Giant
Fruit Weight: 8-12 oz
Fruit Taste: 8 out of 10
Plant Height: 48"
DT Maturity: 70
Yield: Low
Description: Dwarf Emerald Giant is a potato leaf rugose foliage plant, medium to large green fruit, productive, very full flavor that is a bit more tart than it's very similar looking parent variety, Green Giant. Fruits are smooth and oblate, ranging from 8-16 ounces, and barely change color upon ripening - though a pale pink blossom end blush develops on many of the fruit. The flesh is bright green, and the flavor is balanced, full and delicious.

Summertime Green
Fruit Shape: Beefsteak/Oblate
Fruit Weight: 6-12 oz
Plant Height: 48”
DT Maturity: 66
Leaf Type: Regular/Rugose
Description: One of the very best new Dwarf varieties, Summertime Green has deep green, rugose regular leaf foliage and a very stout central stem, growing to 4 feet, and perhaps a bit more depending upon conditions. Fruits are smooth and slightly oblate, ranging from 6-12 ounces or more, and barely change color upon ripening - though a pale pink blossom end blush develops on many of the fruit. The flesh is bright green, and the flavor is balanced, full and delicious.

Rosella Purple
Fruit Color: Deep Purple-ext., Crimson-int.
Fruit Shape: Beefsteak/Oblate
Fruit Weight:6-12 oz.
Fruit Taste: 8.5-9 out of 10
Plant Family: DTP-Sleepy
Plant Height:36-40”
DT Maturity: 58-67
Plant Type: Semi-determinate/Dwarf
Yield: Average
Description: This is a brand new introduction for 2011 and one of the new dwarf varieties from the "Dwarf Tomato Project." Similar to 'Cherokee Purple' in color, size, shape and flavor but on a dwarf growing plant. Regular leaf, dark green rugose foliage, stout central stem, grows to three to four feet in height. Perfect for a large container or a small garden space. The fruits are oblate, ranging from six to twelve ounces, and ripen to a deep purple-pink color. Flavor is full, intense, balanced and delicious.

Tasmanian Chocolate
Fruit Color: Deep Purple-ext., Crimson-int.
Fruit Weight: 6-7 oz
Fruit Taste: 7.5+8 out of 10
Plant Family: DTP-Happy
Plant Height: 36-42”
Plant Type: Semi-Detrminate/Dwarf
Description: New introduction for 2011. The plants have dark green, regular leaf, rugose foliage, stout central stems, and grows to 3' to 4' in height. Perfect for a large pot or garden. The fruits are oblate, ranging from 5 to 12 ounces, and ripen to a deep mahogany color. Flavor is full, balanced and delicious. Tasmanian Chocolate' originated from a cross between 'New Big Dwarf' and 'Paul Robeson',

Summertime Gold
Fruit Color:Yellow/w Pink blossom end
Fruit Weight: 8-12 oz.
Plant Height: 40-48”
Yield: Low
Description: One of the very best flavored new Dwarf varieties, Summertime Gold has deep green, rugose potato leaf foliage and a very stout central stem, growing to 4 feet, and perhaps a bit more depending upon conditions. Fruits are smooth and oblate, ranging from 8 to 12 ounces, and are a clear bright yellow inside and out - though a pale pink blossom end blush develops on many of the fruit. The flavor is intense, balanced and delicious.

Dwarf Mr. Snow
Fruit Color:Yellow-ext.,Ivory-int.
Fruit Weight: 6-10 oz.
Fruit Taste: 8.5 out of 10
Plant Height: 48”
Yield: Average
Description: This is a brand new introduction for 2011. One of the more unique and exciting dwarf varieties from the "Dwarf Tomato Project." 'Dwarf Mr. Snow' has deep green, rugose, potato leaf foliage and a very stout central stem, growing to four feet, and perhaps a bit more depending upon conditions. Fruits are smooth and oblate, ranging from six to ten ounces or more, and are a lovely ivory color - though a pale pink blossom end blush develops on many of the fruit.

The flavor is sprightly, balanced, full and delicious. 'Dwarf Mr. Snow' originated from a cross between 'Golden Dwarf Champion' (a medium fruited yellow dwarf) with 'Green Giant', made in 2006 by Patrina Nuske Small in Australia. Now in its seventh generation, it is a quite stable open-pollinated variety but still may produce the occasional off-type plant.

Dwarf Wild Fred
Fruit Color: Dark Red/Purple
Fruit Weight: 6-10
Plant Family: DTP-Sleasy
Plant Height: 36-48”
DT Maturity: 66
Description: This tomato is the size and color of Cherokee Purple but grows on a dwarf plant that only becomes 3 to 4-ft. tall. Smooth, 6 to 10 oz. tomatoes ripen to a deep purple color and offer delicious flavor that is very well rounded and balanced. Bruce Bradshaw made the original cross between New Big Dwarf and Carbon, and Craig Le Houllier selected and named the variety in honor of his father Wilfred.

Last edited by jhoganaz; August 14, 2011 at 03:44 PM.
jhoganaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2011   #158
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

As for container size - first containers are not a must - these will do fine in the ground/standard garden as well. But the whole advantage of the dwarfs is ability to grow in containers with less fuss than for indeterminates due to their relatively short stature. I think the minimum container size for adequate yield and performance is 5 gallon - but in this case, bigger is better of course - more root room, slower to dry out, perhaps higher potential yield.

Let's see what others have to say about this....
Old August 13, 2011   #159
jhoganaz
Tomatovillian™

Craig, I know it is not a must, but we in the low-desert do not have the luxury of your long season, we have two short seasons, and so must move our tomatoes around and thus we can possibly grow tomatoes almost all year around. But not without much manipulation. Start inside, transplant when weather allows, then move inside when it gets too cold or hot. It is worth it though to get real tomatoes year around. This is why the dwarf tomatoes are so important to us, because we can move them. Thanks for all of your dedicated work.

Last edited by jhoganaz; August 14, 2011 at 06:17 PM.
jhoganaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2011   #160
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I think the minimum container size for adequate yield and performance is 5 gallon - but in this case, bigger is better of course - more root room, slower to dry out, perhaps higher potential yield.
No doubt about it to me, container size makes a big difference in plant size and yield. My Rosy's in large 10-15 gallon containers are just as tall and leafy as those in the ground. I ended up with about 18 Sunny plants, and had to put some of the later smaller starts into 2 or 3 gallon pots. Though they are healthy and have set tomatoes, you can see the plants will be not be as lush and productive as those with more root room in the garden and larger pots. I agree that 5 gallons should be the minimum if you want adequate production over a longer period.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2011   #161
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

So far I've had 7 tomatoes from my Tasmanian Chocolate with weights between 6 and 11 ounces. I would describe the color as being a burnt orange.
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2011   #162
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Picked my first Dwarf Mr. Snow on August 18, a second on the 19th, and two more today (20th). I picked my first Summertime Gold today (20th). The color of the Dwarf Mr. Snow and Summertime Gold appear to be identical at this point. I'm going to get out the camera and take a couple pictures of them side by side. My Beryl Beauty has a lot of green tomatoes on it, but they're still all hard. I checked every one of them and I don't seem to have ripening one.
Old August 20, 2011   #163
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Summertime Gold should color up a bit on sitting and the seed structure inside is a bit different - Mr Snow should be closer to ivory - but yes, they are very similar. Looking forward to hearing about the flavor!

The Beryls will just look a bit different when they ripen - look for a pale pink blush at the blossom end.
Old August 20, 2011   #164
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

I've been watching for any signs of the pink blush and using the "touch test" because I knew from your previous posts that the color change on the Beryl Beauty would be slight. I'm starting to think that the plant may be taunting me....
Old August 20, 2011   #165
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

I'll pay particular note to the interiors when I slice the Dwarf Mr. Snow and the Summertime Gold.