Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 8, 2015   #16
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I just noticed that the wholesale company I Christmas shop from has bags for ten cents: http://www.dpciwholesale.com/Reusabl...#product_tabs1

I read the link about lead. There are two green ones like the Barnes and Noble bag. One tested 298 ppm and the other 235 ppm.

I was reading about lead here:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/...n-home-garden/

In general, plants do not absorb or accumulate lead. However, in soils testing high in lead, it is possible for some lead to be taken up. Studies have shown that lead does not readily accumulate in the fruiting parts of vegetable and fruit crops (e.g., corn, beans, squash, tomatoes, strawberries, apples). Higher concentrations are more likely to be found in leafy vegetables (e.g., lettuce) and on the surface of root crops (e.g., carrots).
Since plants do not take up large quantities of soil lead, the lead levels in soil considered safe for plants will be much higher than soil lead levels where eating of soil is a concern (pica). Generally, it has been considered safe to use garden produce grown in soils with total lead levels less than 300 ppm. The risk of lead poisoning through the food chain increases as the soil lead level rises above this concentration. Even at soil levels above 300 ppm, most of the risk is from lead contaminated soil or dust deposits on the plants rather than from uptake of lead by the plant.

The bag dimensions are 12" x 8" x 13" which is 1,248 cubic inches....5.4 Gallons.

5-gallon air pots are about $3 each on Amazon. Getting the equivalent of one for ten cents looks like a really good deal.

By the way, DPCI has a $100 minimum order, but they sell a lot of other stuff.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2015   #17
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

Great site! $7 stun gun and $2 pepper spray make great stocking stuffers. I've been meaning to get some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I just noticed that the wholesale company I Christmas shop from has bags for ten cents: http://www.dpciwholesale.com/Reusabl...#product_tabs1

5-gallon air pots are about $3 each on Amazon. Getting the equivalent of one for ten cents looks like a really good deal.
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2015   #18
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I clicked on Throwing Knives and then Lawnmower Parts. There's something for everyone.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2015   #19
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I've ordered a lot of tools from them. For some things, quality can be hit or miss. Most of it is still a really good deal, and an indication of how much places like Lowe's gouge on small tool prices. The impact socket sets that DPCI sells are the same that lowe's sells for 3x the price, 5-10x if you're buying an individual socket.

The $5 car air compressor looks like a good cheap gift, too.
Old December 9, 2015   #20
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I paid 89 cent ffor Fred Meyers bags which are almost 7 gallon .
They are pretty strong, made of some kind of nylon fabric which is breathable.

It is 14"W x 8"D x 17"H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FM bags.JPG (552.0 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by Gardeneer; December 9, 2015 at 09:01 AM.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2015   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Speaking of the new reusable shopping bags Austin in its stupidity banned the plastic bags and it has backfired.
My dislike for them is people let them blow all over the place in some areas.

Here is what has happened in Austin if you care to read.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...8a8KP5Y6VVWs_g
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2015   #22
imp
Tomatovillian™

On the site cole robbie linked to, they also have shopping cart bags which are much bigger.

I have a lot of reusable bags, may use them to plant in since I always forget to take them to the store with me!

What is the shipping/handling costs like, cole?

Last edited by imp; December 9, 2015 at 09:54 AM.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2015   #23
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Do they offer re usable bags at reasonable cost ? FM's smaller bags ( !4 gallon in volume) cost 49 cents.

Here in WA state most stores give 3 options :
--- bring your own reusable bags. Quite a few shoppers (environmentalists) do. Stores save a lot of money when people do this. That is why they sell them so cheap.
--- Get your stuff packed in single use plastic bags: Trader Joes does NOT have it.
--- Get your stuff packed in paper bags .

Back to subject:
I have been using these bags for a couple of year. They are very practical. At the end of season empty and fold them, ... easy. They also work just like the so-called "Smart Bags", which is nothing more than breathing. Roots seem to like more oxygen.

Gadeneer
Old December 9, 2015   #24
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Do they offer re usable bags at reasonable cost ? FM's smaller bags ( !4 gallon in volume) cost 49 cents.

Here in WA state most stores give 3 options :
--- bring your own reusable bags. Quite a few shoppers (environmentalists) do. Stores save a lot of money when people do this. That is why they sell them so cheap.
--- Get your stuff packed in single use plastic bags: Trader Joes does NOT have it.
--- Get your stuff packed in paper bags .

Back to subject:
I have been using these bags for a couple of year. They are very practical. At the end of season empty and fold them, ... easy. They also work just like the so-called "Smart Bags", which is nothing more than breathing. Roots seem to like more oxygen.

Gadeneer
In Austin they offer paper bags thicker plastic bags and buy a reusable bag.

In the article it said people just went up the road to another town a mile or two away to shop.
This caused some stores to lose 60 to 70 thousand a week in sales.

Were I live they offer cheap reusable bags and more expensive reusable bags.
We dont have a plastic bag ban.

Like imp I have a house full of them but forget to use them.
Some look like they would make good containers.
One I used as a big purse to carry on the plane.

Worth
Old December 9, 2015   #25
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
What is the shipping/handling costs like, cole?
They are fair and reasonable. I think they charge the actual shipping cost, with no added fees. They are fast, too. Orders ship quickly.

I found a pair of pliers on there that are $28 on Amazon; I'm paying $9 to buy several pairs as Christmas gifts.

They also have one-gallon stainless steel buckets for $2. I am eyeing those as containers in which to sell microdwarfs. I could probably get $10 out of a nice microdwarf in a shiny metal bucket.
Old December 9, 2015   #26
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

As for using shopping bags as grow bags, I used several this past summer from Aldi for growing fingerling potatoes. They worked great!

At the end of the season, I emptied them, and ran through a brief wash cycle and they are as good as new ready for next year. $1.99 at Aldi. They come with a removeable plastic bottom layer which fits inside, and helps retain a bit of watering moisture without restricting drainage or air flow to roots. They are beige in color so won't absorb too much solar heat, and almost no logo dyes to worry about. They are at least 7-gal. in size.

Also used the 15 gal. brown root pouches from Greenhouse Megastore, which worked equally as well. Aldi's were cheaper and readily available.
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2015   #27
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I planted some herbs in cloth grocery bags, but they didnt hold up well at all. I may try the poly bags next, I have some big rectangle ones from somewhere. Basically a tarp bag. Anyone tried those?
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2015   #28
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Anybody use burlap?
Old December 9, 2015   #29
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I think it's going to be hilarious to see market customers walking around with a shopping bag with a tumbling vine tomato plant coming out of it.

I should make a sign that says SERVICE TOMATO - DO NOT PET, slap it on the side of a bag with a plant in it, and then go carry it around Wal-Mart. It will be my service plant. It will prevent anxiety...by making me laugh a lot.
Old December 9, 2015   #30
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

The best one is Walmat bag. But not avaiable in every store.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wmtreusable-bag-003.jpg (19.6 KB, 47 views)