Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 19, 2012   #1
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Default Grub's Mystery Green

I have been trying to grow this variety for about 3 years now. In 2010 I didn't get germination on the 3 seeds I tried to start. As I recall it and Red Barn were the only varieties that wiped out that year out of 60. Last year the plant succumbed to the high temps due to being set out late. This year I had a strong seedling but it is producing 1" bright Red Cherries. It is PL and is a strong plant. Did I read somewhere that this happens sometimes with Grub's Mystery Green or did I make a mistake in labeling or potting up?

MikeInCypress
Old May 19, 2012   #2
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

i also read about the red fruits on occasion. i managed to get a RL and a couple PLs. the RL is in a pot and going strong while the PLs are in raised bed and also look good.

my germination has been perfect. really hope to get some production
TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2012   #3
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=1182
Old May 19, 2012   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have only one left because wind broke the other off at the ground. It is just about to set fruit so if this one is red then that is all I will have this year. Last year a combination of fusarium and Gray Mold killed a really strong plant loaded with fruit; but I did manage to get about a half dozen off before things got bad. I think it may be my favorite GRW.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2012   #5
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I have only one left because wind broke the other off at the ground. It is just about to set fruit so if this one is red then that is all I will have this year. Last year a combination of fusarium and Gray Mold killed a really strong plant loaded with fruit; but I did manage to get about a half dozen off before things got bad. I think it may be my favorite GRW.

you must really love your homegrown maters....
Old May 20, 2012   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I really do! That is why I go to so much trouble to grow them during our horrible mid and late summers when almost everyone else has given up on them. Plus I'm just too stubborn to quit. I am still putting out tomatoes every week and will continue to do so til late summer. I do make one concession to the heat and that is to plant varieties that do better in the very hot weather during this time of the year. I always try a few new varieties for mid summer but most can't hack it.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote