Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 15, 2017   #31
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Garlic laws.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ih4GAVJpk6nZEp
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2017   #32
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

The high price of garlic doesn't exist here at the moment. Our cheap garlic really is cheap in Omaha. Price varies from 2 to 3 bulk bulbs for $1 at Wal Mart or some chain groceries. My closest supermarket, always pricier sells it for $3.99/lb.It's the same white dried up bulk cloves as WM.

I thought the bagged organic product pictured in my early post was a fair price for organic in comparison to the bulk at $1.99 for two very large bulbs. Before I started growing garlic, I would buy a huge jar of minced garlic for under $5 at Sam's and it lasted for months in the fridge.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2017   #33
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Seaeagle, you will love locally grown garlic and will never go back to the bulk bin, I promise!
And yes, the pretty purple WM garlic has LOTS of roots still attached. Much more than the homegrown garlic that I dried and saved.

Once you pick up a little experience , you will probably want to expand on the varieties you grow. Local farmers markets are a great place. If it isn't too late to plant in your area, some online sellers are having sales. You can still get sampler packs of 3 cloves (not bulbs) for $1.99 at seedsnow.com.

The link you provided was from a protected blog and I was denied access. Good to know though.

- Lisa
I am glad you had roots because that means it is almost 100% certain that your garlic was USA grown. There is USA law that says all imported garlic can have no dirt residue. This is why the Chinese clip the roots bare and bleach the garlic they ship. Also sprayed with sprout inhibitor.

I am sorry the link did not work. It did not make you register when I posted it, but it sure does now. Maybe the guy thought he was under attack with all the clicks from Tomatoville

Some of the the differences I can remember between USA and Chinese garlic

Chinese garlic is lighter USA garlic is heavier

USA garlic has a higher BRIX content

Chinese garlic has higher water content

Oh and the chemicals, many more chemicals

Soaked in water for 8 hours and then soaked in alcohol for 5 minutes to kill mites and fungal diseases and planted 44 cloves. Just feels good planting stuff, I don't even use that much garlic But will find a way to use at least some of it
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017   #34
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Have no idea what it is but it has a hard scape in the middle and is purple I picked it up at the store (HEB) and am going to plant it in one of the tubs I have out front.
Might have to water it with ice.

Worth
Old December 10, 2017   #35
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

For what it's worth the store bought hard neck came up.

Worth
Old December 11, 2017   #36
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I checked my garlic patch yesterday, 1000 cloves bedded down for the winter.

pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote