Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old July 4, 2018   #1
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Default Jamacian Red Hot

I have two plants growing in 6 gallon buckets One has normal looking peppers and the other has long 1 to 2 inch peppers The seeds came from the same package Anyone have this happen before Looks like two different types I have never posted pictures before can someone tell me how to do this Thanks cjp

Last edited by cjp1953; July 4, 2018 at 09:55 AM.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2018   #2
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Here is a step-by-step easy visual tutorial...
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=406&page=2
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2018   #3
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I have been at my daughter's today.I had downloaded my pictures from my phone to Facebook but am having problems getting them uploaded to Tomatoville. Thanks for the instructions will keep trying to correct this.
Old July 4, 2018   #4
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Picture of my plants
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E0444A37-2B22-4F41-9D96-2718D8539527.jpg (344.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 7EC271CC-7794-4B37-9BAD-A111C24683E5.jpg (356.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 7883F5BB-1570-48DA-BE6B-D36FD3519F95.jpg (664.1 KB, 50 views)
Old July 4, 2018   #5
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I took these from my Iphone and from there was able to post to the forum.Thank you for the instructions oakley.You can see that the one plant has the bonnet shaped peppers that they should look like and my other has long shaped peppers around 1 to 2 inches long.Same pepper and same looking plant.Seeds from the same package.Only thing I can think of is I miss labeled the seedlings but I was very careful when I transplanted.But I have messed up before.
Old July 5, 2018   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Jamaican hot red is a good pepper but no where near as good as habanero or ghost.
The plants look astounding.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2018   #7
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I think peppers have become so popular lately that there are a lot of seed producers who don't isolate their flowers and cross pollination is becoming an issue. I bought seeds for Trinidad Moruga Scorpion in 2017 and the fruit on the plant came out like Pink Tiger. I wasn't too disappointed because the peppers are quite amazing, and I even overwintered the plant to get the same peppers this year. You very may well have some crossed variety in one of your plants. Since they are supposed to be bonnet shaped and one is not, there has to be either a cross, mislabel, or unstable variety. I would think this variety should be stable. There's a lot of new stuff out there that isn't fully stable. Your plants look identical.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2018   #8
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Jamaican hot red is a good pepper but no where near as good as habanero or ghost.
The plants look astounding.

Worth
Thanks Worth,I don't think I want to try ghost peppers as that's more heat than I want.The Red Hot is close to the Habanero in heat and may try that next year.I'm very happy the way the garden is doing.Using my grass clippings with a half bale of straw left over from last season along with alfalfa pellets and Tomato Tone.We had rain yesterday and more coming today.Nothing seems better than rain water.Must be the acid rain effect
Old July 5, 2018   #9
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
I think peppers have become so popular lately that there are a lot of seed producers who don't isolate their flowers and cross pollination is becoming an issue. I bought seeds for Trinidad Moruga Scorpion in 2017 and the fruit on the plant came out like Pink Tiger. I wasn't too disappointed because the peppers are quite amazing, and I even overwintered the plant to get the same peppers this year. You very may well have some crossed variety in one of your plants. Since they are supposed to be bonnet shaped and one is not, there has to be either a cross, mislabel, or unstable variety. I would think this variety should be stable. There's a lot of new stuff out there that isn't fully stable. Your plants look identical.
Really crazy how that happened.They seem identical as plants and both peppers are small scale.Wonder what the taste will be like.It's an early pepper so I should not have long to wait.