Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old December 18, 2009   #1
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

Default Heat mats too hot?

My mats are at 30 C for pepper seeds, and I'm concerned this is too hot for toms, as my germ rate is only 50%.

With temps of 30C outside during the day, I'm considering removing the heat from the toms altogether...

Suggestions?

Also, any tips on better germination methods? I'd really like 90% rates...
huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2009   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Hunt- I am germinating right now using a heat mat and the temp is a consistent 85 degrees (30c about) and I am getting excellent germination. That said, I like my germination temp about 27c. At some point the seeds get cooked. I have seen a scientific study on this, but couldn't find it with a google search quickly.
Old December 18, 2009   #3
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

That's weird, Michael...*scratch scratch*

Mine are at the same temps but very different results. I wonder if perhaps I have too little airflow? Also, I am using polystyrene boxes and a faulty thermostat so temps might actually be a little higher.
Old December 18, 2009   #4
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Hunt-It could also be whether or not your seed is fresh for the tomatoes. Tomatoes should germinate before the peppers. What is your seed source and age of seed?
Old December 18, 2009   #5
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Hi there!

I'm new here, but couldn't help - I bought the heat mat kit few months ago and experimenting with the heat mat for the first time, to see if germination would be quicker.

I would echo what mdvpc said, maybe the age of the seeds? After experimenting with bulk seeds over past month with the grow mat, I too tend to find 26-27C range works best for me. First 2 rows of pepper seeds germinated in 5-6 days (same seed source, 6 varieties, seeds from 2009)

The other two rows - various sources, no specifics on the year are 50-50%, some pocking out, some still "waiting"

Though on the side note, out of the box - Ferry Morse brand kit, with standard 1020 tray and clear dome - was cooking the seeds. Floor temperature of 1020 tray was nearly 41C (105/106F) with air temperature inside the dome was about 35C (95F) with is too hot for tomatoes, and for peppers too imo.

So after few experiments, the best solution for me was to use two 1020 trays stacked inside each other and placed on the heat mat, now, the temperature inside the dome is steady 26-27C (80-81F)

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2009   #6
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

The seeds are from TV members all over the world, so they should be great.

I'm pretty sure that the fault is mine, and I reckon my temps are rising above the max too often. I'm going to leave the lids off the boxes for a week or two and see if that combats the harsh temps...

I'll keep the humidity up with dome lids that cover the tray but leave space for circulation of air.

Thanks, fellas!
Old December 19, 2009   #7
Marko
Tomatovillian™

I cooked tomato seeds this summer, when I was doing germination test .
Forgot the pot on the sun all day long covered with glass. When I came from work the soil temperature was 57C/135F.
To my surprise germination rate was still 40%.
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2009   #8
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

You might try using a cookie cooling rack over the mat for part of the time.

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2009   #9
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

That won't work for me unless I remove the lids to my boxes anyway, George, but good idea in general!
Old December 19, 2009   #10
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Huntsman

Is your mat inside a enclosed box? You might also want to pull up Craig's mass germination method that works wonders. How many seeds are you trying to germinate at one time?++

George

Last edited by geeboss; December 24, 2009 at 06:07 PM.
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2009   #11
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I'm using tight-fitting polystyrene boxes and I do have lifters that separate the mats from the trays, but in that confined space, it makes no difference.

I have indeed used this gentleman's method, which worked beautifully, but with my older germ boxes. No sweat, I've removed the lids and will monitor closely.

I've got 12 Yellow Pear seeds in there now, and another 12 on a shelf. I'll be amazed if they don't also germinate as the weather here is hotter than my germ chamber was a month ago!also got
Old December 24, 2009   #12
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Interesting topic you've raised here huntsman,sorry for my late input.
You are in a climate far less extreme than mine, i'm a grower of tomatoes and peppers most of the year (ok a hothouse helps me )and by not using any heat mats.As a heirloom vegetable seed grow myself i believe its best for the long term improvement of any seed line to grow from only the seed that germinates from those that show the greatest resistance.
Sorry this doesn't cover your topic of heat mats that you have raised,but i do belive its best to start your seed at far lower temps than what is regarded as the best temperature for ideal germination,this way only the stronger genetics are pasted on.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2009   #13
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

Hey, Meds -

I'm leaning that way myself, particularly as I already have 17 hooks from the 24 seeds I sowed, both in the germ box with the top off, but the heat map on, and on the shelf...

BTW I'm a huge All Blacks fan and can never wait for them to play the 'boks! (I love seeing adults cry!)

Old December 24, 2009   #14
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsman View Post
Hey, Meds -

I'm leaning that way myself, particularly as I already have 17 hooks from the 24 seeds I sowed, both in the germ box with the top off, but the heat map on, and on the shelf...

BTW I'm a huge All Blacks fan and can never wait for them to play the 'boks! (I love seeing adults cry!)

Yer i'm still learning also which make it such a fascinating hobby.

As for the All Black/Boks rivery,lately there's been fair amount of tears shed from both sides of the southern hemisphere,(most coming from the Ozzies )
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2009   #15
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

No Aussies here??