Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 6, 2012   #1
tlcmd
Tomatovillian™

Default Snowberries resistant to TSWV????

I've been growing Snowberry tomatoes (yellow cherries) for several years without any problems with TSWV. Meanwhile, non-resistant varieties all around them are usually disease ridden by September (earlier this year with the weird weather) while my TSWV resistant varieties do well until our first heavy frost in November.

Snowberries are not on the list of TSWV tomato varieties.

My question: has anyone seen TSWV disease in Snowberry tomatoes??

I've been getting my seeds each year from Reimer Seeds, but this year I plan to try saving them (hence my earlier questions over the past 24 hours re: saving seeds.

"If only Longstreet had followed orders......"

"Show me something more beautiful than a beautiful woman and then I'll go paint it." Alberto Vargas
tlcmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2012   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcmd View Post
I've been growing Snowberry tomatoes (yellow cherries) for several years without any problems with TSWV. Meanwhile, non-resistant varieties all around them are usually disease ridden by September (earlier this year with the weird weather) while my TSWV resistant varieties do well until our first heavy frost in November.

Snowberries are not on the list of TSWV tomato varieties.

My question: has anyone seen TSWV disease in Snowberry tomatoes??

I've been getting my seeds each year from Reimer Seeds, but this year I plan to try saving them (hence my earlier questions over the past 24 hours re: saving seeds.
Snowberry was bred by Sahin Seeds in the Netherlands and I don't think they would gave introduced any tolerance to TSWV.

Over the years the folks who grow tomato plants, especially in the SE say that some years it's bad, other years none at all. I have several friends in NC and my own brother now lives there as well, and I'm wondering if it's just coincidence with regard to Snowberry and what you suggest as to tolerance.

But surely others will weigh in on your post as well.
Old August 6, 2012   #3
tlcmd
Tomatovillian™

Default Quite a coincidence

Carolyn,
Thanks for the reply. Admittedly I rarely grow more than 2 dozen tomato plants, but for the last 5 years all of the TSWV resistant plants I've grown have survived until our November frosts, and only a very few non-resistant ones have lasted beyond September. .......Except Snowberries. This year my six Snowberry plants are at least 8 feet tall and producing bodaciously. And I've lost 4 of my non-resistant ones in an adjacent row already. I've yet to lose a Snowberry to TSWV or any other diseases even though they've been amongst the Hillbilly's, Arkansas Traveler's, Brandywine's, Big Boys', Whoppers, etc over the years. This is not a scientifically significent study in methodology or numbers. And I know that Snowberrys are a Europe originated variety.
Hence my question: Has anyone lost a Snowberry plant to TSWV disease?
We may have a hidden resistant variety which produces abundantly a delicious cherry tomato.

BTW, my mainstay is the Bolseno from Johnny's Seeds.

"If only Longstreet had followed orders......"

"Show me something more beautiful than a beautiful woman and then I'll go paint it." Alberto Vargas
tlcmd is offline   Reply With Quote