Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old June 19, 2012   #1
Andybear
Tomatovillian™

Default Fly Ash to enhance the Soil

Can Fly ash be used to enhance the growth of Tomato plants when mixed in with your soil and if so at what ratio?

I did read somewhere that it gets used to help with agricultural lands but what affect is there on the tomato growth and production?
Andybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2012   #2
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

This article suggests 10 tons (tonnes?) per HA in combination with additions of organic matter: http://www.flyash.info/2003/28mit.pdf

It's a good source of many nutrients, especially potassium, but there are potential hazards as well, insofar as containing heavy metals. If you have easy access to cheap FA, it may be worth investigating.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2012   #3
Andybear
Tomatovillian™

I have about 20 kg so maybe I will lookup more information and then run a trial to see what effect it has. I know the article I read said that there was an increase in leaf size and production. But I will need to check up on the ratios and also on that heavy metal. Thanks for the information so far.
I have now found some more information on the use of Fly ash in growing tomato. Ref Link http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15091390
looks like it could be benificial but I think I will still do some test myself and see what comes of it.

Last thing I want are tomatoes which look great but can't be eaten as the are contaminated with heavy metals and other chemicals.

Would be nice to know if anyone has tried it before and what the outcome was.

Last edited by Andybear; June 19, 2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old June 28, 2012   #4
dice
Tomatovillian™

Some experience with using it in agriculture is summarized
here: http://www.articlesbase.com/science-...ve-273459.html
Old June 28, 2012   #5
Andybear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice View Post
Some experience with using it in agriculture is summarized
here: http://www.articlesbase.com/science-...ve-273459.html
Thanks dice I will take a look at that link.
Old June 28, 2012   #6
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I spent seven years working as a coal fired boiler operator and dealt with fly ash on a daily basis. While it would be presumptuous of me to contradict the learned articles, I personally would not apply fly ash to my soil as an amendment.

We burned Wyoming coal and the resulting flyash was sampled and tested on a regular basis and the levels of heavy metals was scary to say the least. We were warned constantly to shower immediately after being exposed to flyash for a length of time. There were also warning labels that our flyash was possibly radioactive. Ours was landfilled and buried.
Old June 29, 2012   #7
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Well, snap! That's interesting, in a terrifying way.

j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2012   #8
drezz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
I spent seven years working as a coal fired boiler operator and dealt with fly ash on a daily basis. While it would be presumptuous of me to contradict the learned articles, I personally would not apply fly ash to my soil as an amendment.

We burned Wyoming coal and the resulting flyash was sampled and tested on a regular basis and the levels of heavy metals was scary to say the least. We were warned constantly to shower immediately after being exposed to flyash for a length of time. There were also warning labels that our flyash was possibly radioactive. Ours was landfilled and buried.
Yeah, that's true. I guess it depends on the source for the fly ash but that is where all the metals, dioxins, etc. will concentrate.
drezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2012   #9
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Concentration is the key. The flyash I was around did get concentrated heavy metals mostly because of DEQ and EPA regulations dictated we recycle and reburn the flyash several times for air quality reasons. The only thing was, we emitted none of the heavy metals anyway because of an extensive filter bag system that captured the ash. In its supreme reasoning, each government regulatory body seemed to be in competition with the other to make life more miserable for power producers (and our production was for internal use not for public consumption). So we had to install very expensive redundant equipment just to satisfy a few bureaucrats sitting in offices a thousand miles away with no clue how a coal fired power plant works.

Too political? Sorry, go ahead and edit my rant ... even if all this happened fifteen years ago. I can only imagine how much worse it is now.
Old June 30, 2012   #10
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

what is fly ash?

wood ashes are very alkaline so use sparingly as they raise ph fast.

NEVER use coal ash, i have read, as it contains heavy metals.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2012   #11
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Short answer. Fly ash is the ash that gets carried up the smoke stack. As PaulF indicated, it gets filtered out.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote