Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old March 17, 2024   #1
crunch1224
Tomatovillian™

Default Garlic update

Dunganski and Ivan garlic update.

So far things are going well. Both variety's are about 5-6 inches above the straw mulch and the straw mulch is about 5 inches deep.

I am going to fertilize in about 5 days or so. Im going to use a Garden tone and blood meal mix and work it into the soil around the bulbs. Garden tone is 3-4-4 and the blood meal im using is a 12-0-0.

When I put the straw mulch back im going to reduce the amount so that its about 3-4 inches deep. I wont need much for weed suppression.

Im pretty excited springs almost here. I am going to expand my garden more this year by about 560 square feet. This will give me one more row for tomatoes .
crunch1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2024   #2
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

All the best.

Do you get get garlic rust in the US, here its really bad

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2024   #3
crunch1224
Tomatovillian™

Default Rust

I live just south of Chicago on the Indiana side, which has some unique weather at times. The area can act like a bubble protecting me from bad weather or it can concentrate bad weather that no one else is getting.

With that said Rust can be hit or miss. I haven't personally had it but I have seen it in other gardens. The soil in my garden is on the sandy side and it drains really well. I also water my garden on the lean side for sandy soil, but each time I do water its a deep watering. I monitor the soil by watching how the plants are growing and by simply sticking my fingers into the soil to see just how moist it is.

Rust loves wet conditions and I think my sandy soil and how I water and not having my mulch to thick is what has made me lucky so far.

crunch1224 is offline   Reply With Quote