Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old March 27, 2013   #211
dice
Tomatovillian™

[leaks]
I would not try to patch one of these totes. For one thing,
it would be difficult to find a patching material that will
stick to it: http://www.epoxywarehouse.com/marine...ddy-epoxy.html
(I would not worry about the epoxy leaching, as it becomes a hard
material like glass when it sets up. Think of fiberglass on the side
of a fiberglass boat.)

For another thing, the plastic that the tote is made from and
the patching material will expand and contract at different rates
with heating and cooling. So even if it seems to seal at first,
it may not stay that way.

If you can completely empty and dry it first, you might be able
to patch it from the inside with uncured rubber (if you can find
it; web searches turned up empty the last time I looked, but
a general construction supply will sometimes have it.) The water
pressure will press the rubber into the crack, so it stays sealed
even as the plastic expands and contracts.

I have had a SWC made out of a tote leak. I cut the bottom off
and converted it to a conventional container.

edit:
Elastomeric paint (swimming pool paint) on the inside might
work, but I question how well it will adhere to the plastic.
You would need a special primer. By the time you buy all of
the necessary repair materials, you could have bought a new
one to make a new Earthtainer from and kept the other one
for a conventionally watered bottomless container.

Last edited by dice; March 27, 2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Elastomeric paint info
dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2013   #212
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Dewayne,

I have also had many of the EarthTainer I Rubbermaid containers develop cracks due to UV exposure over time. There is little you can do to repair them when this happens. That is why I recommend wrapping them in a bamboo "skirt". You can simply replace the outer shell with a new container when you start to see the cracking happening. Unfortunately, this is not viable mid-season when you have active plants growing.

The new EarthTainer 3 uses the Lowes Centrex container which has a lifetime guarantee against cracking. (I realize this does you little good at the moment.) For the duration of the Season, I would just top water the plants in that one container - the potting mix retains a good deal of moisture so you may need to top water only every few days.

Time for you to build some new EarthTainer 3's with their removable cage system - really makes clean-out and Winter storage very simple.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2013   #213
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Dice and Ray - thanks! I will try topping for now and see how that goes. It seems to be a slow leak, but, I haven't located the crack yet. Ray I do use the bamboo wrap as well, just for other reasons....keeping the roots cooler in summer. I really suspect this crack came from moving the tainers from the driveway into the garage to avoid a freeze. I think I'll build a simple sled out of plywood and a chain or rope on it to make tainer movement less harsh on the plastic in the future. (this time I used a furniture dolly) In the mean time, it looks like tainer 3 time for me. This one is a tainer 1, though I also have tainer 2s.

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2013   #214
Jeff23703
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone had to use the warranty on the Centrex containers? I noticed that Lowes listed them as weather and crack resistant and has a limited lifetime warranty, however, they did not list warranty details. Are these the same as the Rugged Totes? I found the warranty for those on the Centrex site, but no warranty was listed for regular Centrex totes. Who fulfills the warranty - Lowes or Centrex?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to be certain that the warranty will cover them should they crack while being used outdoors. If not, I'd feel better purchasing four containers that may last a year or three, if protected, for the price of one Centrex tote. The Rugged Tote warranty on the Centrex site only mentions use in households and offices, so I'm very curious to see if anyone has run into an issue yet.

Either way, I can't wait to use EarthTainers this year! Fantastic idea, and just what I've been looking for.

Jeff
Jeff23703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2013   #215
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Jeff,

I have not had a Centrex tote fail yet - so I haven't tested the warranty responsibility. As a suggestion, next time you are in Lowes, take one of the 18 gallon Centrex containers up to the service desk, show them the Warranty label on the side panel, and ask them who provides the replacement. My hope would be Lowes replaces them on-site. Let us know what they say.

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; April 5, 2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old April 5, 2013   #216
Jeff23703
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the quick response, Raybo.

I was planning a trip tomorrow to pick up potting mix supplies, so I'll make sure to grab a tote and ask.

I have several Rubbermaid totes that are not being used and are supposed to be temperature resistant, but prone to sunlight, so I'm wondering if I should try using the Krylon UV-resistant spray on them. What do you think?
Old April 5, 2013   #217
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Jeff,

Unprotected, the Rubbermaid totes will crack in about 4 years due to UV exposure. You can either wrap them in bamboo, or do a yearly spray with this to protect them:

I have no experience with the krylon spray product.

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; April 5, 2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old April 6, 2013   #218
Jeff23703
Tomatovillian™

Raybo,

I checked and was told that I should contact the manufacturer about the warranty, but the person I was speaking to seemed a bit clueless. I've never had a problem returning something to Lowes unless it specifically stated to contact a manufacturer, so I don't foresee any trouble with that as long as I can produce proof that it's under a warranty. Regardless, I gave in and grabbed a few. I'm sure they'll last long enough since I plan to cover them for protection.

Thank you for the suggestion. I haven't seen that product before, but it looks very useful to have around! Just the thing I need for these greenhouse covers. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Jeff
Old April 6, 2013   #219
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Jeff,

Here is a link to Aerospace 303 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-I...303+protectant

Click on the reviews tab to see other's opinions.

Raybo
Old April 14, 2013   #220
KenNashua
Tomatovillian™

Anyone know where to order some net baskets online that aren't outrageous? Every place seems to not be carrying the 5x5x4's.

Nevermind: different search ("net pot" on ebay came up with a bunch of reasonable items)

Last edited by KenNashua; April 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM.
KenNashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2013   #221
Athena
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
The new EarthTainer 3 uses the Lowes Centrex container which has a lifetime guarantee against cracking. (I realize this does you little good at the moment.)
Raybo
The outershell on one of the Earthtainers I made last year (it's a Rugged Tote) has a horizontal crack just below the fender washer and I've been wondering how to go about getting a replacement. I'm not about to empty the thing right now but does anyone know whether there is some warranty restriction about my having put a hole in it it?

Athena
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2013   #222
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I'm pretty sure that once you drill holes in the container, Lowes will not exchange it for a new one. Not to worry, as the Rev 3.8 design relocates the two bolts lower, where they will not torque the sidewalls causing the crack.

Just move the mounting bolts lower as per the dimensions here:

http://earthtainer.tomatofest.com/pd...tion-Guide.pdf

No need to patch nor worry about the old holes, as they are well above the water line.

Raybo
Old July 1, 2013   #223
Athena
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Just move the mounting bolts lower as per the dimensions here:

http://earthtainer.tomatofest.com/pd...tion-Guide.pdf
The container has two large (and very beautiful) eggplants in it now so I'll have to wait until the fall to make any changes.

As it happens though, I used the old plans to make a new box on Saturday. I was supposed to fill it yesterday but other projects intervened so I guess I need to relocate those bolts before I fill it in the morning.

Thank you for the update

Athena
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2013   #224
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

I'm getting my seeds ready for spring and looking forward to building more earthtainers, but the 31 gallon totes are currently $16.98 Is there any predicable schedule on when these go on sale? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they go on sale by march
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2013   #225
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Just checked, and they are the same price out in CA. as well. You might want to ask your local store manager when he thinks they will go on sale, as I would think they know in advance when sales will run.

Raybo