Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old September 10, 2023   #1
ac21686
Tomatovillian™

Default Has anyone used Surround Kaolin Clay or similar product?

Read about this a bit. It creates a film/barrier that supposedly thwarts bugs (codling moths on apples, for example) and reduces disease. I've been looking into it for next year. Has anyone tried it out?
ac21686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2023   #2
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Yes we use it on our sweet cherry trees,it works great to keep the little nasties out of the cherries!
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2023   #3
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

I've considered trying it against Squash Vine Borers... but haven't yet.
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2023   #4
ac21686
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitridge View Post
Yes we use it on our sweet cherry trees,it works great to keep the little nasties out of the cherries!
Interesting, thanks. How often have you sprayed? I run a garden center and generally steer people away from cherry trees because of the maintenance involved battling disease and pests.
ac21686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2023   #5
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

We spray 3 days in a row or you can do it all in one day if it's hot, just need to wait until it's dry before spraying again,the reason for three coats is to get a good enough coverage so the birds don't see them and plus that really takes care of those nasty little worms. We are in a very dry climate so we don't have to worry about rain washing it off,you also have to use a spreader sticker which we were able to find an organic one which works very well.
Old January 1, 2024   #6
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Yes I have used it. It creates a white film that lasts longer than DE. Please keep in mind that it will kill all of the insects that come into contact with it including the bees which you need to pollinate your squash and many other plants. Given that, it is a very effective barrier against insects. It does need to be re-applied from time to time to maintain coverage. Especially after a rain.
Old January 3, 2024   #7
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

No it doesn't kill anything, it's a deterrent not a killer,it's just white clay,it won't kill anything!!
Old January 4, 2024   #8
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Wonder if it would keep the birds away from my blueberries early in the season? Would it damage the blueberry plants or stop berries from forming?

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2024   #9
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Wonder if it would keep the birds away from my blueberries early in the season? Would it damage the blueberry plants or stop berries from forming?

Bill
I think that might work really good,I never thought of using it on blueberries ,just make sure you use an organic sticker,we use one made from pine resin which works good.