Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 20, 2014   #16
Hermitian
BANNED

The SunGro seed propagation mix (3.8 cu.ft. bags) and Jiffy Mix (in consumer stores) have always worked flawlessly for me.
Old February 20, 2014   #17
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?IEVCS 11 September 2013 Seedling Soil
Seedling soil for the 2014 season.The underlying nutrient soil was the compost heap brought in this Spring supplied by the city. It was modified using some knowledge and information from previous subjective experience.Ingredients added to the basic underlying compost was, coconut coir, mason sand, some garden earth, wood chip shavings, a bit of fertilizer 10 10 10. My mental process was this. Coconut coir for moisture retention. Mason sand to inhibit coagulating of the basic compost. Garden earth to supply a few microbes. Wood chips shavings for aeration and to determine how well the products are mixed, since they are easily seen.
The subjective quantities selected were mixed thoroughly on the compost pile using the Honda FG110G rototiller. The finished product was stored in 20 litre buckets and closed with lids tapped into place with a rubber hammer. A total quantity of about 400 litres was obtained. Holes were drilled under the lid lip to allow air in.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #18
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

2/20/14
tqn626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014   #19
kath
Tomatovillian™

I'm also finding this an interesting thread to follow, both because I'm looking for another medium option for next season and because it's too early for me to start my own pepper/tomato seeds.

The potting soil looks soggy even after the 1st pic 5 days ago!

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014   #20
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

2/21/14
Old February 22, 2014   #21
madddawg
Tomatovillian™

I have pretty good results using Miracle Grow potting mix to start mine. The only problem I have is getting it wet enough. I spray it down good with a 2 gallon pump sprayer, let it sit for a while to let it soak in and repeat a couple more times. Then plant the seeds and push them down. Then wet em one more time. It seems like the mix is still dry, (the tray still feels light) But I probably get 95% Germination.
Old February 22, 2014   #22
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by madddawg View Post
I have pretty good results using Miracle Grow potting mix to start mine. The only problem I have is getting it wet enough. I spray it down good with a 2 gallon pump sprayer, let it sit for a while to let it soak in and repeat a couple more times. Then plant the seeds and push them down. Then wet em one more time. It seems like the mix is still dry, (the tray still feels light) But I probably get 95% Germination.
I found that the best way to wet those really dry seed starting mediums was to run your tap water very hot into the bag then close it up and work it a bit. Make sure you are outside then poke a few holes in the bottom of the bag and let the excess water drain out. While it is still hot you can add more dry medium to it and mix it in and it will wet very quickly and take some of the moisture out of the bag until the seed starting mix is at the consistency you want.

Too much trouble for me. I now use UltraSorb from Auto Zone to start almost all my seed.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2014   #23
madddawg
Tomatovillian™

I think it was last year I mixed water with how much I needed, but I can not remember why i didn't like it. I think it was the fact that when its dry I can just scoop some into the packs and shake out the excess. but yeah Next time I plant I will not go with the "easy" way. I will definitely wet the mixture.

I look up Ultrasorb on Auto Zone s web site and it says its 100% Diatomaceous Earth. well i thought to myself "Self, what is Diatomaceous Earth." So I looked that up and found this
http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/degen.html
Kind of an interesting read..(don't go huffing that stuff!) I wonder how well that stuff and something like Miracle mixed together would work?
Old February 23, 2014   #24
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by madddawg View Post
I think it was last year I mixed water with how much I needed, but I can not remember why i didn't like it. I think it was the fact that when its dry I can just scoop some into the packs and shake out the excess. but yeah Next time I plant I will not go with the "easy" way. I will definitely wet the mixture.

I look up Ultrasorb on Auto Zone s web site and it says its 100% Diatomaceous Earth. well i thought to myself "Self, what is Diatomaceous Earth." So I looked that up and found this
http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/degen.html
Kind of an interesting read..(don't go huffing that stuff!) I wonder how well that stuff and something like Miracle mixed together would work?
I bet mixing some DE with the MG potting soil will make it much easier to wet. I've done that with other hydrophobic mixes like Jiffy Mix and MG Organic. The different shapes of the DE granules keeps the mix from caking together also, so it improves aeration for young seedlings.

tqn626's experiment here is interesting because of the vermiculite as a primary additional component which is very water retentive like a wet sponge but still allows for some aeration in a mix. I've been experimenting with DE for a few seasons, but never experimented with vermiculite much so it'll be interesting how this shakes out as far as root growth and overall seedling health in comparison.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2014   #25
sergeant69
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
reading the title to this thread (Seed Medium Test)from day one has had me thinking of something.
What would and who would be a medium for a seed seance.

Worth
that's funny. I dare you! tell em what Austins motto is! the first word is "keep".
sergeant69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2014   #26
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

2/23/14

Also got this seedling with 3 cotyledon

I mix some Humic acid into one of the waterings since i was making some humic acid concentrate. That may have speed up their growth. I;m starting another test with fulvic acid.
Old February 24, 2014   #27
madddawg
Tomatovillian™

This is pretty interesting stuff here, for me at least.. I like to try new things, and it looks like TQN is doing a nice job.!! Keep it up!

Ray, I peeked at that, and it does look interesting, But its late and i will look at it when I can.

Here is an idea..Try mixing different things up and make a "Frankensoil"! Or, it may be the fact that seeds will germinate in anything, and we have to see how they do...? hmm. Its got me to thinkin. I am thinkin of a new thread on here of growing seeds in weird stuff. They may sprout but will they live and strive? Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde kinda stuff...
Old February 27, 2014   #28
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

2/27/14

Will probably Repot some tomato plants tomorrow.

Old February 28, 2014   #29
RayR
Tomatovillian™

So what's the verdict? The coir mix's look like they did OK. Did you feed them at all?
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2014   #30
tqn626
Tomatovillian™

I fed them all a diluted Fish hydrolysate/humic acid/ fulvic acid mix.

Let do a cost breakdown,

Vermiculite was 2 cu feet for $20 at home depot. Cheaper if you buy from farm supply store. Could substitute Perlite probably for 4 cubic feet for 10 dollars.

Cocoir was 9 dollars for 2-2.5 Cubic Feet

LGM potting soil was 10 dollar 2- cubic feet.

Empire Builder Potting soil 16 dollar per 2 cubic feet.

I would go with a coco coir/Vermiculite mix. It's cost effective. I would think the coco coir alone would hold up too much water. Not to mention the coco coir has a habit of robbing calcium and Magnesium. It would seem the coco coir would maintain better heat retention due to the fibers but that my speculation, i didn't have a thermometer.

When fluffing up the coco coir i made sure to rinse it out repeatedly 3-4 times. I also added Dolomite lime to the mix. You can use Gysum and epsom salt.

I will take pictures of the roots when im repotting later today.

Last edited by tqn626; February 28, 2014 at 01:44 PM.