Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 16, 2011   #16
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

For a sweet non-cherry, Goose Creek gets my vote this year. I really like it's texture as well.
In response to the post before mine, I agree Giannini was very good tasting. I recall it being sweet, but also with some tart flavor coming through as well. A very nice variety indeed.
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2011   #17
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

For a sweet non-cherry, Goose Creek gets my vote this year. It's not one-dimentionally sweet, but has some complexity to it's flavor. Wonderful texture as well.
I see Giannini mentioned. I agree, it's a very good tasting tomato. I recall it being sweet, with some tartness coming through. A very nice variety indeed.
It also depends on your definition of sweet. Many tomatoes have sweet characteristics in their flavor, but frequently have other flavors come through as well, such as saltiness or tartness. Of the two I mentioned, I'd say Goose Creek had more of a sweet sensation than Giannini.

Last edited by Douglas14; October 16, 2011 at 04:16 PM.
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2011   #18
Blk_Vegan
Tomatovillian™

The four this year that stood out in this category for me were:

1) County Agent - A real surprise. Planted these as an afterthought but they turned out to be my favorite of the season. Nice sweet to acid balance with that "old timey" tomato flavor. Held up well in a record hot summer and are still producing as i write this. A new fav.

2) Terhune - Another very nice pink tomato with an excellent sweet taste that also held up to the hot and humid Memphis heat. Also, production was fairly high.

3) JD's Special C-Tex - This was my best tasting dark tomato this season. Outpacing my personal favorite, Amazon Chocolate. This one came highly recommended and I'm glad i decided to give it a try. It's a keeper.

4) Sandul Moldovan - Grown in a satellite/friend's garden, this tomato produced well bearing very large fruit that were fairly sweet and meaty. Only got to try a few as late spring storms destroyed most of the plants but it was a winner also. Size, taste, heat tolerance and production....a keeper.