Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 8, 2010   #46
OneoftheEarls
Tomatovillian™

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Categoryaste_Tomatoes

Quote:
THE only place I saw it initially listed as a paste was at Sandhill where I had sent it and when Tom, the originator of the variety, saw that he let Glenn know it wasn't a paste, and I agree.

Prue is genetically stable but does have differently shaped fruits on a single plant but it's juicy and has the normal number of seeds as do non-pastes.
I did not insert the "razz" Carolyn, the pasted url has an ":" in it...lol
OneoftheEarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2010   #47
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Tom, I also thought that Wes was a tasty tomato and I ranked it second in flavor of the hearts I grew this year. Of course next year could be totally different. Linnies was only a moderate/low producer in the spring but is one of my most productive fall tomatoes as a matter of fact it was the only heart to survive the plant out in July during a blistering heat wave.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2010   #48
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Wes rules, but here's another one to think about putting on the list - Lithuanian Crested Pink. Very nice fruit and a good late producer. I had just one plant, but I was picking four or five of these a week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lithuanian Crested Pink.JPG (383.7 KB, 55 views)
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2010   #49
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I find that heart-shaped tomatoes can have a meaty almost savory taste beyond that of a beefsteak.

My favorites by far are Tony's Italian (which is so spindly that you can safely grow 2 or even 3 plants inside a single cage) and Cherokee Sausage.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2010   #50
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
I find that heart-shaped tomatoes can have a meaty almost savory taste beyond that of a beefsteak.

My favorites by far are Tony's Italian (which is so spindly that you can safely grow 2 or even 3 plants inside a single cage) and Cherokee Sausage.
Feldon, are you saying that Tony's Italian is heart shaped? it never was for me. I sent seeds of it to Suze a few years ago and I know she liked it very much but not a heart. Or were you just saying that it and Cherokee Sausage are non-heart faves of yours.
Old November 9, 2010   #51
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Tony's Italian

Cherokee Sausage aka Wessel's Purple Pride

Not sure if they fit your definition of heart though.

Prue, Sarnowski's Polish Plum, Wes, and Tony's Italian all have a similar flavor to me, but different fruit shapes. In my simplistic classification system, I group them together into oxheart/plum/paste/whatever since they all have meaty interior, reduced juice and reduced seeds. Not all have wispy growth. No doubt my oversimplification into one category offends someone.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2010   #52
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

feldon not to answer for carolyn but that shape is the same as 90% of the prue tomatoes are shaped and i would not call it heart shaped. while not a true plum shape, i'd say it is more of a plum than a heart. now wes is truly heart shaped. interesting comments about grouping prue and wes with Sarnowski's Polish Plum and Tony's Italian. makes me wonder whether to try them but this season the garden is already over filled with varieties. i have been considering planting in a community garden for the $10 fee. space is reasonably sized, i could fit a lot of tomatoes in there!

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2010   #53
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

I'm a fan of hearts too and would appreciate recommendations anyone can make for compact, preferably semi-determinate ones that I can add to seeds I have now for Danko, Serdtse Buivola, and Zolotoe Serdtse...thanks.
Tom
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2010   #54
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I would like to add a vote for Vera's Seed as a productive heart.

I grew it last year for the first time and it produced like all get out. Many of them were large double hearts too. I had one that was 2.5 lbs. Nice pink heart.

When my plant customers ask for something "meaty" I will often stear tham to the hearts. I tell them it's a good all-round tomato, good for slicing or canning. Kind of like a cross of a beefsteak with a roma.

Maybe not the best description but they usually know what I mean.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2010   #55
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
I would like to add a vote for Vera's Seed as a productive heart.

I grew it last year for the first time and it produced like all get out. Many of them were large double hearts too. I had one that was 2.5 lbs. Nice pink heart.

When my plant customers ask for something "meaty" I will often stear tham to the hearts. I tell them it's a good all-round tomato, good for slicing or canning. Kind of like a cross of a beefsteak with a roma.

Maybe not the best description but they usually know what I mean.

Carol
Carol is referring to the variety which is known as:

Vjerino Paradajiz Sjeme

... which is a mouthful and I have to look it up to remember how to spell it but it translates out to Vera's tomato seed. And that's how you'll find it probably at Tania's site, although I didn't check, at perhaps other seed sites and that's how it's listed in the YEarbook b/c it was the name that Leslie gave me.

it's a variety I first introduced in the SSE Yearbook in 2003, my seeds from Leslie who got them from her mother in law in Bosnia.
Old November 9, 2010   #56
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Yup, that's the one.

And for the same reason as you, Vera's is a lot easier to remember.

Carol
Old November 12, 2010   #57
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yup, that's the one.

And for the same reason as you, Vera's is a lot easier to remember.

Carol
I guess I've been remembering an incorrect translation for several years; "Vera's Seed of Paradise".

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2010   #58
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Yes there was a thread discussing the correct translation last year about this same time.

I had picked the "seed of paradise" from someone's trade list last year before that thread got going. When the seeds came they were listed as "Vjera's seed". That's how I listed it in last year's yearbook but I've since changed my listings to "Vera's seed" as that seems closer to the proper name.

They really are a nice tomato dispite the name issues.

Carol
Old November 12, 2010   #59
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes there was a thread discussing the correct translation last year about this same time.

I had picked the "seed of paradise" from someone's trade list last year before that thread got going. When the seeds came they were listed as "Vjera's seed". That's how I listed it in last year's yearbook but I've since changed my listings to "Vera's seed" as that seems closer to the proper name.

They really are a nice tomato dispite the name issues.

Carol
Gary, Carol, take a look at Tania's listing for it and you'll see that the middle word can be spelled another way.

I first listed it as it was given to me by Leslie from her MIL in Bosnia with an extrra "i" in it, and it does translate out to Vera's Tomato Seeds.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/paradajz

... spelled as in the link above, which is how Tania, I think listed it, the word means tomato and Sjeme means seed (s)

I remember kidding Leslie about it and asking if that's the way she wanted the variety to be known and she deferred to her MIL and said that's the way her MIL wanted it to be known.
Old November 14, 2010   #60
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

I have Vjerino Paradajiz Sjeme as well, from Carol. She sells it as Vera's Seed, but Carolyn used the original name in the Yearbook and her seed offer here this year. It is OK to me as long as no one translates "Paradajiz" to anything else than "tomato". Apparently that is a regional word, as Czech "rajské jablko" (paradise apple) and short "rajče " mean exactly the same, and I think that is the case in unrelated Hungarian also, making Géza's screen name mean "the tomato king".
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote