Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old September 22, 2010   #16
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Agree, glad we got seed. My Numex Heritage Big Jims have set-I planted them months too late, since I didnt get seed until the summer was here. I am hoping for some harvest, so I can try them.
Old September 22, 2010   #17
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Hi Michael,

I was in Santa Fe last week and driving up and down the main drag through the commercial area on Rt14 were tents with vendors roasting their "Hatch Chiles" along the sides of the road in parking lots. Aroma was great.

At home, I tried cutting up some of the off-the plant ones and then eating them, but they were somewhat tough and bitter (compared to my Bell peppers). However, roasting them on the grille with the hamburgers and peeling off the burnt skin produced a wonderful taste treat on top of the burgers.

We never made it down to the Buckhorn Tavern to try theirs, but now I know how to prepare the NuMex Peppers to bring out their best flavor.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2010   #18
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

Yes, the NuMex's have a tough skin that needs to be burnt off. While it can be done in an oven (or even a microwave), the fire-roasting gives them that wonderful smoky flavor...Mesquite fire makes for a traditional SW flavor.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2010   #19
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

That's how I roast mine. On the barbeque grill. I will be trying
the NuMex Heritage Big Jim next year. I really liked the NuMex 6-4.
Since you were very generous in the seeds you sent me, I passed some
along free of charge to somone on another forum. He really liked
them and said they were very prolific. I know I will be planting
a lot more next year.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2010   #20
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Roper

Happy I was able to send you enough seed to help out another gardener.
Old October 1, 2010   #21
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I tasted Numex Heritage Big Jim side by side with Numex Heritage 6-4 from my garden.

Heritage 6-4 is a very mild green chile-great for you gringos that dont like hot chile.

Heritage Big Jim is still mild to my palate, but has some heat.

Both of these are very good tasting green chile. They have a depth of flavor that is not in a lot of green chile varieties.

Ray: Dont know how I missed your post. There is a famous green chile cheeseburger restaurant in San Antonio, New Mexico. Its called the Owl Bar and Cafe. If you are ever traveling south on 25 from Albuquerque, check it out. There is a place across the street that Bobby Flay did a throw-down at, called the Buckhorn. I think the Owl is better, most people like the Buckhorn-maybe I just like funky joints that look like they have been there forever.
Old October 1, 2010   #22
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

San Antonio, NM, is where Conrad Hilton opened his first hotel of many.
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2010   #23
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Hey Michael,

The day we were to go to the Buckhorn Tavern in San Antonio, my son convinced me to go here instead:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=15923

Glad we did, but still want to check out both the Buckhorn and Owl next time we get to Santa Fe.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2010   #24
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Ray:

The Buckhorn and Owl are about 2-2.5 hours from Santa Fe. Were you going to drive that 5 hours roundtrip just for a green chile cheeseburger?

There is a website, http://www.newmexico.org/greenchilecheeseburger/ to check out next time you are in New Mexico.
Old October 2, 2010   #25
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

HI Michael,
Interesting link you posted. I am curious about the green chilies they use in their recipes. Do they process the chilies in any way- add something like salt? vinegar?
Any recommendations for a not too hot green chili (Jalpeno like heat)?
Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2010   #26
franzb69
Tomatovillian™

tam jalapenos and jalapeno m varieties are mild in heat and i've heard taste great.
franzb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2010   #27
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Jeff:

As far as I know, everybody here, at home and restaurants, simply roasts the green chile, most put them in ice water to take the burnt skin off, then either use it fresh or pack it in freezer bags, freeze them and take them out when needed.

Heritage 6-4 is very mild. Heritage Big Jim is much less hot, in my garden, than a Jalapeno. Sandia and Barkers would be way too hot for you. I have had some Barker's and Sandias that are super hot, much hotter than they are rated on the Scoville Scale.

So the two heritage peppers could be good for you. Joe Parker might be also.

Take a look at the New Mexico Chile Pepper Institute Scoville Scale at the top of the Pepper sub-forum-it has a sticky. That can give you a general idea of how hot different chile is.
Old October 2, 2010   #28
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Michael.
Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2010   #29
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc View Post
I tasted Numex Heritage Big Jim side by side with Numex Heritage 6-4 from my garden.
Which one is bigger for you?

I grew the "regular" Big Jim (not Heritage) a couple of years ago, and the size was a bit of a disappointment - 4" max, I think. And that was in the late spring and fall when my peppers tend to be at their largest. In summer, they were usually even smaller than 4".

However, I have to wonder if my seed was true because one of the two plants I grew produced even smaller peppers than that, 3" max and the plant did not get nearly as tall. Both were grown in similar conditions.

In other news, I'm very pleased with the NuMex Heritage 6-4. Thanks for the seeds.

Now that it's cooled off a bit, pepper size is usually 4" to 6". I'm going to roast some today.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote