Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 3, 2012   #1
attml
Tomatovillian™

Default Four in the yard

Well, I am still 3 weeks away from my area's frost date but I have four varieties in pots in the yard as of tonight. My first four out are Brandywine Sudduth, JD's Special C-Tex, African Queen & Cherokee Purple. I am trying a little different mixture in my potted tomato plants this year. The soil consists of a majority of Leafgro http://www.menv.com/leafgro_main_new.shtml . I have also added peat moss, perlite, vermiculite, gypsum, lime and Espomoa Bio-tone starter plus fertilizer. I plan to add some epsom salt after the plants take hold a little and will be adding some Mycorrhizae http://www.plant-success.com/index.p...corrhizae.html as a root drench. Hopefully this combo will produce a good crop for me this year!! Now I just need to get the other 40+ varieties planted out, but at least I'm in the game!!

Mark
attml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2012   #2
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

Attml, You should do well. I'm like you, i had to get in the game. Our weather is about 4 wks ahead of usual. 10 days ago i bought a 4th of july burpee hybred at the local nursery. I put it in a 5 gall. smart pot and added goodies(myco) and fertilized with plant tone. I've only brought it in once and looks like i might have to 2 times this week with night in the low forties. This tomato has really taken off. Its three times bigger than when i bought it. I'll be putting out my other 22 the first week in may. Keep us posted on their progress

Last edited by augiedog55; April 3, 2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: spelling
augiedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2012   #3
attml
Tomatovillian™

Auggie,

Sounds like you are getting some good growth already so that is good news! I had planted the Sudduth in a pot and put it in the yard Sunday. Last night there was a frost / freeze warning for a good chunk of Maryland so I put a coffee can over it just to be safe. It's nice when theey are still small enough to be able to do that! They are calling for it to be in the 30's Thursday, Friday and Saturday so I am glad I have some extra coffee cans!

Mark
attml is offline   Reply With Quote