Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old October 31, 2009   #1
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default 2009 Eggplant Results

Before the growing season began several people mentioned the varieties they were planning on growing, and I'm curious what the results were. I planted about 8 plants, but the results were poor. I'm guessing the mild summer and less than ideal soil were to blame. I only saw a few eggplant growing and at least 3 were taken by critters, probably squirrels, which left me with 2. One I picked when it was small so squirrels wouldn't get it, and one that was about 5 or 6 inches long that my mother found when she decided to pull some of the plants. I took the small one and ate it raw. Only was about 2 small bites, but thought it had a mild pleasant flavor. Not strong at all as I expected. It was a dark variety, but can't remember off hand what I even grew.

Next year my plan is to grow them in containers, and to include a couple earlier maturing varieties. Applegreen may be one.

I know some of you grew new to you varieties and am wondering how they turned out. Some areas of the country had temps much warmer than we had so I'm guessing growers there did well with eggplant. Even the PNW was hotter than my region, which is unusual.

Interested in hearing other's results...

Jeff

Last edited by OmahaJB; November 1, 2009 at 06:03 AM.
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2009   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I only grew White Beauty this year and I have grown it several times before. It was mild tasting and dependable as usual. My only complaint about the white varieties is their thick skin, but I almost always peel mine anyway.

I have a hard time giving eggplant away to people. A few people I know really love it but I think a lot of people have no idea what to do with an eggplant or have ever eaten it before. And then when I try to give them a white one, they really make a weird face at me! I usually give people Ina Garten's recipe for Eggplant Gratin now when I give them some eggplant and then they know what to make out of it.
Old November 1, 2009   #3
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Michelle,

I think you're correct in that most people either don't know what to do with eggplant, or think it would be awful tasting. Once someone told me they were going to be making eggplant parmesian for dinner, and it sounded awful to me. Couldn't imagine it being any good. But after tasting the couple of little bites from my eggplant this summer, it's much different than I expected. Not gross as I previously thought it would be.

Next summer I definitely will be planting early maturing eggplant, in containers.
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2012   #4
bzzybee
Tomatovillian™

I have 2 ichibans growing in 1 large pot, probably a 15 or so gallon maybe a tad bigger with miracle grow potting mix for vegetables and they went from seedlings to about a foot tall so far. I hope that pot is big enough for them both, I read they are smallish plants when full grown. Is that correct?
bzzybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2012   #5
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I grew Rosa Bianca and Ping Tung Long in containers, as recommended by nctomatoman, and this was the first year I had healthy plants. A year or two ago I also grew in containers, but the location wasn't warm enough. None of the ones I planted in the ground ever survived the flea beetles. I used bigger containers this year -- 7-10g instead of 5g. Summers here are usually 75F days and 55F nights, and my garden plot gets shade in late afternoon and cooling afternoon breezes. Not a huge harvest, and the RB were small, but for next year I will put the containers on a sheltered patio that gets much hotter than my garden and see how they do.

I also planted a bunch of seeds (to see if my seeds were still viable) in late May and gave a few seedlings to a neighbor in early August who planted in containers next to a house where it's sunny all day. Her plants are doing well and have small fruit on them -- and they look much better than my purchased plants did at this stage. But it's getting down to the mid 40s at night this week, so this may be the end for them.

I usually bake eggplants and use them in sandwiches, but the oven is hard to use here, so instead I've been dehydrating them for use in winter stews.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote