Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old April 18, 2011   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default Butterstick squash

I set out only 3 Butterstick sqash (from Burpees) on March 14 and have already picked enough for a good meal. That is one amazing squash. It makes a large yellow zucchini type that tastes very close to an old fashioned crookneck but you only need a few plants. I have been growing it exclusively as my yellow squash for many years now and every time I plant another variety I am disappointed. Every year I have cut down the number of seed I start and the number of plants I put into the garden because these things are so productive. I always pick them young when they are a light yellow before they start to get that deep yellow color. Even at that stage the squash are really large, usually over 8 inches long and nearly 2 inches thick. Sometimes they well get over a foot long and still be in that tender sweet stage. If you leave them for a day or two too long they will get huge and look like yellow water mellons almost.

I'll have to hand it to Burpee, they have two great exclusives that I order every year and one is Butterstick and the other is Brandy Boy.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2011   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Here is a picture of one of the three Butterstick hybrid squash plants. With only 3 plants we have already eaten squash twice and in a day or two they will need picking again. The fruits in the picture are around 5 to 6 inches long but will be between 9 and 12 inches in two days and be ready to pick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Butterstick hybrid- April 22.jpg (259.8 KB, 51 views)
Old April 23, 2011   #3
O.P. Mater
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for posting this........will order some Butterstick squash today! :-)
O.P. Mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2011   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I should warn you the plants tend to get really big. I try to space mine between 4 and 6 feet apart. I used to plant them close together but they would become too crowded just as they started making good. I set 5 inch tall plants out on the 14th of March and they already stretch completely across the 4 ft wide bed. I sometimes plant them directly in the ground if the soil is warm and the nights are in the 50s and then thin them out when they get 3 or 4 leaves on them.