Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 10, 2011   #1
nangisha
Tomatovillian™

Default The Biggest Heirloom Tomato

Hi Tomatovillian!.

We plan to make tomato contest here to keep our gardening enthusiasm keep arise . We think making the biggest tomato contes will great idea . So far the biggest tomato I ever grow is Brandywine . When I searching in the internet the biggest one I can see is Big Zac. But I think Big Zac is hybrid so we can only grow it once.

So I wonder do you think there is others big heirloom out there that's will good idea for contest like this. Ease of grow and size will be great advantage because we all amateur.

Thanks
nangisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2011   #2
OtterJon
Tomatovillian™

I would say for ease of growth and a tomato that can and does get very big, is
Omar's Lebanese they can get to 3-4 lbs. Pink and HUGE! and they are pretty disease resistant too.

Another big fav of mine, that can get to 4+ lbs is Cuostralee and is also very easy to grow. It's flesh is red in Color.

Well those are my choices for a contest. Hope you have fun and grow some big ones!
OtterJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2011   #3
VvtatervV
Tomatovillian™

Last edited by VvtatervV; December 10, 2011 at 07:35 PM.
VvtatervV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2011   #4
Bama mater
Tomatovillian™

Tidwell German, Old Fashion Goliath
Bama mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2011   #5
kath
Tomatovillian™

I grew a lot of tomatoes this year that I had received from folks here at Tomatoville and some of them seemed scary big to me. Slankard and Butler Skinner were over 3 pounds and the following all produced a fruit over 2 pounds: Hoy, Believe It or Not, Church, Work Release Paste, George's Greek Beefsteak and Mayo's Delight. Not sure which might do well growing in Indonesia, though- everything had a pretty hard time trying to grow here in PA this year!
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2011   #6
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Hoy is the biggest one ive ever growth but not as big as the Omar's Lebanese you grew OtterJon
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2011   #7
nangisha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterJon View Post
I would say for ease of growth and a tomato that can and does get very big, is
Omar's Lebanese they can get to 3-4 lbs. Pink and HUGE! and they are pretty disease resistant too.

Another big fav of mine, that can get to 4+ lbs is Cuostralee and is also very easy to grow. It's flesh is red in Color.

Well those are my choices for a contest. Hope you have fun and grow some big ones!
OK Your description about Omar Lebanese quite promising, I hear so many gardener praise it but never wonder its can be that's big. Its will be great to grow something that's big and tasty

Not really familiar with Cuostralee, I'l Google it and set my mind.

Tris
Old December 11, 2011   #8
nangisha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama mater View Post
Tidwell German, Old Fashion Goliath
Never heard it before, I hope its wasn't what thry call rare seed. Bama Mater do you had picture or description on this one. Thaks
Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
I grew a lot of tomatoes this year that I had received from folks here at Tomatoville and some of them seemed scary big to me. Slankard and Butler Skinner were over 3 pounds and the following all produced a fruit over 2 pounds: Hoy, Believe It or Not, Church, Work Release Paste, George's Greek Beefsteak and Mayo's Delight. Not sure which might do well growing in Indonesia, though- everything had a pretty hard time trying to grow here in PA this year!
OK Slankard and Butler Skinner for 3 pound sound promising, is this two taste OK.
I don't had big problem growing them here kath because my area great for vegetable growing including tomato. The enemy usually rain because its made the weather really humid and the leaf won't dry until night time. In rainy season tomato price can be ten times more expensive than in dry season.
The problem usually came from my gardening friend from other town who seem can grow it into big plant but never harvest a single fruit .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medbury Gardens View Post
Hoy is the biggest one ive ever growth but not as big as the Omar's Lebanese you grew OtterJon
You and Kath mention Hoy, its seem great one. When Hoy seed offered here I made request too but post office here become smarter I think not a single one get trough. FYIO Walter send me twice, isn't it really bad luck with PO.
Old December 11, 2011   #9
OtterJon
Tomatovillian™

hmmm We need to make soap or candles, with seed packets embedded in the center for you nangisha, so the post office will say..oh it's just a candle.
OtterJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2011   #10
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

I've been growing for 40 years and have never seen a larger tomato that the Siberian Pink Honey. I grew 22 varieties last year and nothing came close.
MikeInOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2011   #11
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

Mike in Ohio Is the Siberian Pink Honey tomato, very sweet?I like sweet.
raindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2011   #12
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Mike, you are right - Rozovyi Myod ("Pink Honey" is an English translation of this Russian variety from Siberia) usually can get you a very huge fruit even in a cold climate.

There are many other Siberian tomatoes with very big fruit (up to 1 kg on first several trusses): Bezrazmernyi (="Dimensionless" in English, red), Vashe Blagorodie ("Your Honor", pink), Babushkin Secret ("Granny's Secret", pink), Vechnyi Zov ("Perpetual Call", red), Lyubimyi Prazdnik ("Favorite Holiday, pink), Gordost Sibiri ("Pride of Siberia", red), Korol Gigantov ("The King of Giants", red), Korol Sibiri ("The King of Siberia, yellow heart-shaped type), Korol Koroley ("The King of Kings", red - I'm still in search of seeds of it in Russia) and some others.

Plus I'm adding my Orange Minsk to this "king size list"

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; December 12, 2011 at 12:13 AM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2011   #13
SEAMSFASTER
Tomatovillian™

Marvin Meisner grew two heirloom varieties to over six pounds in 2011.

Delicious (6.51 Meisner 2011)
Brutus Magnum (6.25 Meisner 2011)

Quite an amazing feat!

He is the author of the book Giant Tomatoes (Annedawn Publishing, 2007).
SEAMSFASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2011   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAMSFASTER View Post
Marvin Meisner grew two heirloom varieties to over six pounds in 2011.

Delicious (6.51 Meisner 2011)
Brutus Magnum (6.25 Meisner 2011)

Quite an amazing feat!

He is the author of the book Giant Tomatoes (Annedawn Publishing, 2007).
True, but the Delicious wasn't from seeds one normally buys and nor was the Brutus one.

Marv was here and posted in your thread and I'll link to that now so that folks can get a taste, as it were, of what those who grow for competition size do.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=19937

Hope that helps.
Old December 12, 2011   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Plus I'm adding my Orange Minsk to this "king size list"

And why not Andrey for I think it's one of the best tasting/growing varieties that you've ever found and lots of folks love it as I do.

I don't grow varieties just for large fruit size, but yes, I do think that Orange Minsk should be mentioned as having the potential to grow large, especially if it's happy where grown.

Tags
biggest , heirloom