Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 12, 2008   #1
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Default Estler's Mortgage Lifter

Hi all, where can I purchase the Estler's strain of Mortgage Lifter? I did a search and it turned up at Heirloom Tomatos in Rosedale, Maryland, but they offer no catalog and I'm not familiar with them. Is this a good source?

They had several "strains" of ML which I found interesting. ML has one of the best tomato variety legends going. Plus, it was a great tomato for me in 07.

Thanks!

Don
Old January 12, 2008   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoDon View Post
Hi all, where can I purchase the Estler's strain of Mortgage Lifter? I did a search and it turned up at Heirloom Tomatos in Rosedale, Maryland, but they offer no catalog and I'm not familiar with them. Is this a good source?

They had several "strains" of ML which I found interesting. ML has one of the best tomato variety legends going. Plus, it was a great tomato for me in 07.

Thanks!

Don
Don, that's Chuck Wyatt's old site now run by Donna. My concern is that Chuck died in June of 2002 and he was the one who grew the tomatoes and produced seed and for a couple of years before that things were confused b'c of his medical conditions.

And I know of no place that Donna could buy substitute seed for the Estler.

You can try that site, but I did list it in my seed offer posted this past Monday if you opted to participate in that here at Tville.

Most of those so called strains of ML at that site are just about the same with the exception of the Mullen's strain, if that's still there, that has pale foliage.

And yes, it has a legend going but read at Chuck's site about the Estler strain as opposed to the regular Radiator Charlie one.

Legend it has, but I don't consider to be among the top pink beefs that I've grown; just my perspnal opinion.
Old January 12, 2008   #3
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn,

I just now found your seed offer. I'm still learing my way around here and the ways of seeds and trades.

I read your site over and will again. I guess it is an open offer and I can send what you request to ask for the Estlers.

Thanks!

Don
Old January 12, 2008   #4
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

To add a bit more info - Mullens strain is just like the other Mortgage Lifters that I've grown (Halladay, Radiator Charlie from SESE, etc).

There was a pale leaf plant or two that emerged from the typical seedlings in Mullens, which is named Mullens ML Pale Leaf, and Victory sells it (I isolated and stabilized it..not sure if the outcome of a cross or a mutation). But the usual Mullens strain is normal colored reg leaf foliage, very large sweet pink fruit.
Old January 12, 2008   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks Carolyn,

I just now found your seed offer. I'm still learing my way around here and the ways of seeds and trades.

I read your site over and will again. I guess it is an open offer and I can send what you request to ask for the Estlers.

Thanks!

Don
No Don, as with almost all the others seed offers it isn't an open offer and soon will be closed b'c of the number of folks who are participating and the limited amount of seeds.

And per your above comment I'm not requesting anything of anyone other than that they send me an e-mail, given in the initial post, well, the directions are all there for you to read, numbered in order yet. And I do not have many seeds of ML (Estler).
Old January 12, 2008   #6
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for the reply. When I mentioned request I only meant the request for an email, address, etc. I knew you didn't want anything in trade.

Is there a commercial source you could suggest for the Estler's? I guess this is about the last one I'm still looking for. I can't seem to find a current seed source, even though it's mentioned quite a bit on the web. Maybe I am overlooking one of the seed sources.

Don
Old January 13, 2008   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for the reply. When I mentioned request I only meant the request for an email, address, etc. I knew you didn't want anything in trade.

Is there a commercial source you could suggest for the Estler's? I guess this is about the last one I'm still looking for. I can't seem to find a current seed source, even though it's mentioned quite a bit on the web. Maybe I am overlooking one of the seed sources.

Don
Don, I haven't done a Google search to see where else it might be listed other than Heirloomtomatoes.net so off hand I don't know of other seed sources.

Have you done a Google search for it?

I'll be closing my seed offer later today so if you want to take a chance on getting it from me, you'd better send me that e-mail ASAP, but if you do. you might want to indicate other varieties that may be of interest to you at the same time bc you'll be late to the party..

Note that in the Seed Exchange area there's also a Forum for WANTS, and if you ask there for it someone here at Tville might also have it.
Old January 13, 2008   #8
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn, but sounds like you are running low and ready to end the seed offer for now. However, an unexpected email came from another member who offered some genuine ML Estler's from an SSE collection. All's well that ends well.

Can't wait to see how these produce! I think this will complete my hard-to-find seed round-up for this year. Thanks for your previous generosity that helped fill the list, too!

Thanks for the offer, will hope to watch more carefully next year. Hope all is going well in your neck of the woods and that you have a doubly good 2008 for tomatoes. I know you're anxious to get started like the rest of us.

Don
Old January 18, 2008   #9
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

ML Estler's arrived safe and sound. I'm getting fancy now!

Thanks J!

Don