Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 3, 2020   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Warm Weather, Confused Plants

Good grief! It's 79 out there this afternoon although a front is about to blow through in a little while. Then we'll be back to more normal upper 50's. No wonder some of the fall garden plants are confused.

An hour ago I had to cut the first three heads of the second set of broccoli plants because they were starting to loosen up in this spell of warm weather.
I also cut the first head of Late Flat Dutch cabbage (a new one for me) and pulled about ten scallions.

The cabbage was a bit disappointing. It measured 8"x7"x5" but it wasn't very heavy for its size, weighing only a hair over 2 lbs. The smaller Stoneheads are smaller but much more dense and heavier. This is why I trial different varieties. The 100 DTM Dutch is supposed to be a great kraut cabbage and it probably is in colder climates. I'll continue using the 55 DTM Stonehead for kraut and be stashing the remaining Dutch seeds in the freezer.

The Brussels sprouts are also not performing, as usual. This will absolutely be the last time trying to grow them here in this roller coaster winter weather. Some sprouts are trying to tighten but are having a hard time of it:

Others are loose as a goose and will never really head up. I think I'll cut the tops out of all the plants, see what happens and be done with them for good.

GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote