Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old April 25, 2007   #1
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Default Pussy Willows?

I was walking up in the back of my property yesterday and came across two pussy willow bushes growing wild. They are both about 5 feet high, with several leaders that form a cluster.

I'd like to transplant them to my yard but I'm not sure if it's a good idea since I've read that they can become invasive.

Do any of you have them growing in your yard? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2007   #2
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Lucky you! I was just reading about how to taken cuttings from them not an hour ago. (Might be too late this year but dead easy.) We have moved Swamp Pinks in the past, but not pussy willow.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2007   #3
bcday
Tomatovillian™

I didn't find the plants themselves to be invasive, but the roots can be a problem if they are near any pipes. Pussy willows are swamp plants and the roots will seek water and clog up any water or sewer line that they can reach.

If yours are 5 feet high, you might prefer to start cuttings rather than move the whole plant. Or, since you will probably be pruning the stems back if you do move the whole plant, you can root the trimmings as insurance.

The cuttings are really easy to root in water or moist soil if they are young wood from last year's new growth. Old wood doesn't root so well.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2007   #4
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

I'm headed out with shovel and fork to dig them up now.

I'll be sure I don't place them anywhere near my septic line or leach field. I've got more swamp here than Jed Clampett so maybe I'll plant it close to the water's edge.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2007   #5
flowerpower
Tomatovillian™

Willow love it swampy. I have a weeping willow that I started from a cutting around 11 yrs ago. I purposely planted it in a very dry area to control the growth. So far- so good.
flowerpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2007   #6
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Default pussy willows

I don't think that they are invasive as the ones around the yard here have managed to stay in place. They are our indicator of spring up here. They are late coming out this year and I did hear that we are about 2 weeks behind in spring weather.
Sue B.
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2007   #7
Trudi
Tomatovillian™

I've never grown them but I had a neighbor with several that were huge...nearly as tall as her house. We were about eigth feet from a kill and maybe forty feet above the water flow. Ada NEVER watered her lawn or plants and her PWs thrived.

All willows are super easy from cuttings, just cut off several pieces with a diameter less than the width of a lady's pinky and shove them down into a pail of moist soil. You won't need any rooting hormone. Place the container in shaded spot and in a few weeks you should have roots. At the end of a few months you can knock over the bucket and separate the rooted cuttings. I have a bucket of rooting squiggly willows outside that has about fifty pieces in it and it looks like they're all 100% rooted--I see them all leafing out and some are blooming!
Old April 29, 2007   #8
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

There is nothing easier to root from cuttings than a willow (salax). I'm growing a couple varieties of pussy willow in containers only for rooting and grafting purposes. 'Willow water' works just as well as indole-3-butyric acid to stimulate root growth on cuttings.
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2007   #9
flowerpower
Tomatovillian™

You can root willow in plain water. I use a soda bottle. Then you use that water to root other plants. It's a great rooting liquid.
flowerpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2008   #10
salix
Tomatovillian™

Agreed - most willow is very easy to root. (and the willow water is great for rooting other things)

Once took some very old (at least 6 months) dry lengths of willow branch and poked them criss cross lattice fashion in front of a flower bed to keep the neighbourhood dogs out - most of them rooted...
salix is offline   Reply With Quote