Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old July 18, 2009   #1
matertoo
Tomatovillian™

Default Greetings from LA (Lower Alabama)

Recently joined, so this is my first post. First of all, I am completely blown away by the site!! Really first class.

I have been lurking for the last few days, trying to soak up all of this tomato info. My wife and I decided to plant a small garden this year (first in 30 plus years). We have managed to wind up with 24 Amelias, one Parks Whopper, one Bush Goliath, all hybrids. I managed to find one Mr. Stripy and a couple of Mountain Prides. (almost forgot-a couple of Better Boys). We now have plenty of tomatos. Also seem to have more "friends" than I can ever remember having. Go figure.

Next year, I hope to grow heirlooms from seed. Will need plenty of advice from all of matermgrowers.

Doing all of this has been challenging, to say the least, as I have been dealing with a severe case of gout in my left knee and a bone on bone situation in my right knee. I am scheduled for replacement of my right knee on August 10th.

I covet your thoughts and prayers as I face this next step. I am impatiently looking forward to completion of therapy so I can get back in the mater patch!!

Paul
matertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2009   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Paul, welcome to Tville. You have come to the right place for all aspects of tomato growing and we have knowledgeable folks here that can answer about any question you have. Sorry to hear about knee problems and hope all goes well with your procedures. During your recoop you can peruse the site as there is lot of information available. An international group we are and enjoy your stay. Ami
Old July 18, 2009   #3
matertoo
Tomatovillian™

Ami: Thanks for the warm welcome. What part of Deutschland do you reside in? I graduated from Augsburg American High School, as my father was stationed there in my teenage years. When I was in the Army myself, I was stationed in Ludwigsburg, a suburb of Stuttgart. Germany is a beautiful country and I enjoyed my time there.

Paul
Old July 20, 2009   #4
the dudee
Tomatovillian™

Welcome Paul, what part of Bama if I may ask? I'm orginally from Anniston. Tide fan?
Old July 20, 2009   #5
Penny
Tomatovillian™

Hi there and Welcome,

Nice to meet you Paul.
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2009   #6
matertoo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dudee View Post
Welcome Paul, what part of Bama if I may ask? I'm orginally from Anniston. Tide fan?
My lovely wife and I have been residing in Thomasville, Alabama (100 miles North of Mobile) since I got out of the U. S. Army in 1ou 1972. I am not a Tide Fan, as my wife and I graduated from LSU. Geaux Tigers!!

I am looking forward to learning all about maters from you and the other wonderful folks at Tville.

Paul
Old July 20, 2009   #7
matertoo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny View Post
Hi there and Welcome,

Nice to meet you Paul.
Penny,

I appreciate the warm welcome. How are your maters?

Paul
Old September 30, 2009   #8
gars
Tomatovillian™

Welcome Paul. I'm in Ashland and am trialing open pollinated varieties that do well here. Hook up with me if you're interested.

I have contacted all the people I know have ever had Mozark and can't locate any. GRIN has Pink Mozark, but didn't respond to my request.
If any Tomatovillians have Mozark (the original Red or the Pink) seeds to share or swap I'd really appreeciate it.

Gary Smith
5186 CR-5
Ashland AL 36251
770-597-3527
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2009   #9
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Paul, I'm work by Landstuhl at a communications site by the Landstuhl Regional Medical Center. I live in a small town about 20km from the site. Ami
Old October 1, 2009   #10
tuttimato
Tomatovillian™

I have some red Mozark. If you still need them PM me. I only grew one plant this year but it was sufficiently impressive to warrant more attention next year.

Welcome Paul.
tuttimato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2009   #11
matertoo
Tomatovillian™

Gary

Iwould be more than happy to help out in any way that I can. Let me know what I can do to help out.

Happy Matering,

Paul
Old October 1, 2009   #12
clara
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Paul, I only saw your thread just now - another welcome from Germany! I live near Köln/Cologne. Good to hear that you enjoyed your time here!

Viele Grüße, clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2009   #13
matertoo
Tomatovillian™

Clara:

Thanks for the warm welcome!! I have enjoyed reading your posts in my time at T'ville.

Best wishes to you and yours. As always,

Happy Matering,

Paul
Old October 9, 2009   #14
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Welcome Paul, I too am a new member from LA and have been blown away by the site. I live on the other side of the state but conditions are similar. I had great production out of 1st Prize, Big Beef, Cabernet, Steak Sandwich, Floralina, and Small Fry(cherry). I also did good with Brandy Boy and Applause(the earliest tomato I've ever had) but only with the ones planted in April. The 1st Prize (from Tomato Growers Supply) was the most productive tomato I've grown in thirty years of gardening. Set them out June 16 and they are still producing good size tomatoes. Of the heirlooms I grew Marianna's Peace did the best setting fruit even when we had those temps hovering near 100 and it withstood our rampant diseases better than most. Good Luck
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2009   #15
matertoo
Tomatovillian™

b54red:

Thanks for the good informtion on your maters from this past season. I'm glad that you were successful. This past season was a learning experience for me. I suppose I'll redo my list for the umpteenth time and order a few more seeds to add to my collection.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Happy Matering,

Paul