Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old June 18, 2018   #1
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Default How to get rid of ribbing

I saved seeds from the best plant at F3 and grew 8 plants. To my surprise they are all ribbed, when the original tomatoes were smooth in F1, F2 and F3.

What should I do next? Grow more F3 seeds and hope for smooth maters, or (assuming that great taste is still there) will the F4 give me another chance for smooth ones?

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

Could it be environmental? (just hoping).

Any chance they got crossed with a ribbed fruit?
Are they fully mature already? I remember my (smooth) Stupice would occasionally produce a tiny ribbed fruit. Hence the environmental thing may be possible. The same principle that causes megablooms from cold stressed plants early season. I think so.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

at F3 and 4 you will still see a lot of segregation. grow more f3 seeds, as many as you can and look for the qualities you want.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #4
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

That would be GREAT if it turns out to be environmental Bower! I don't think they could have crossed with a ribbed fruit as I have always grown them on my deck, far away from the veggie garden. They aren't full size yet...….

I can grow more F3's next year Karen. I'd love to reproduce the fruit that I had last year.

Thanks for your help ladies ,
Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote