Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 19, 2018   #1
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default Bi Color

Garden is inundated with early blight. What is the best yellow/red for a large container started in zone 6 in mid July for late tomatoes? Thanks.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2018   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Little Lucky is my favourite bi-colour. It is late, but not THAT late

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2018   #3
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpinks View Post
started in zone 6 in mid July for late tomatoes? Thanks.

Do you want to plant out in mid-July or start seeds in mid-July? Not sure you'll realistically get much of a harvest if you wait that late to start seeds.

I have waited until early/mid-July (post-garlic harvest) to plant out any extra tomato seedlings I didn't have the heart to toss and are still hanging on, and have had decent harvests even from mid-season varieties.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2018   #4
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

plant not seed....thanks
Old February 19, 2018   #5
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Then with plants you can probably go with any variety identified as early, early-mid, or mid season and still get a harvest. For me the ones that go out that late grow very quickly, produce much faster, and hang on later into the fall.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2018   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I haven't had Little Lucky, but I imagine it is as delicious as Lucky Cross. The dwarf variety Wherocowhai is 1/2 Lucky Cross, and I think tastes identical. Low yield and late producer for me, but amazing flavor.

Some yellow varieties will blush red on the end when very ripe, and resemble a bicolor, even if not technically one. Dwarf Sweet Sue is a favorite of mine, and it blushes like that.

In a container that size, I'd grow a dwarf. Other people on here have better luck with regular indeterminates in containers than I do, so it is obviously possible, but I do better with dwarfs.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2018   #7
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

I have tentatively decided to start Hillbilly, Mortgage Lifter and Cherokee Purple from seed late May to plant out early July. I have had moderate success doing this for a few yrs using suckers from the garden plants. They make a few tomatoes before failing from the same blight. Plan to clean containers with soap bleach and fill with quasi 5-1-1 mix and hope for longer life. Might even shoot for a late June planting. First frost here usually 2nd week of Oct or later. If I get much air born fungi this will be my last attempt as filling six 20 gal totes is hard work and expensive.
Old February 21, 2018   #8
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I haven't had Little Lucky, but I imagine it is as delicious as Lucky Cross. The dwarf variety Wherocowhai is 1/2 Lucky Cross, and I think tastes identical. Low yield and late producer for me, but amazing flavor.

Some yellow varieties will blush red on the end when very ripe, and resemble a bicolor, even if not technically one. Dwarf Sweet Sue is a favorite of mine, and it blushes like that.

In a container that size, I'd grow a dwarf. Other people on here have better luck with regular indeterminates in containers than I do, so it is obviously possible, but I do better with dwarfs.
I think that Wherokowhai tastes slightly better than Little Lucky. (I've never tasted Lucky Cross). My problem is that the dwarfs seem even more disease-prone than the non-dwarfs in my garden and that could be because of the cages that tend to hold all the foliage close. I grow the indeterminates up strings so they get more airflow.

I love Little Lucky because the fruit size is perfect for me and, being smaller, it matures earlier than its Brandywine parent . I wouldn't say it is stingy, but then it tastes so good that I am grateful for all the tomatoes it give me!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2018   #9
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default Bi Color

I have been growing from seed for several yrs. Late May to early July could indeed be 6 wks. But I prob will shoot more for a late June plant out.
Old March 3, 2018   #10
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post

I second Cole Robbie's suggestion for Wherokowhai! I consider it a dwarf Lucky Cross.
Plant two if you're concerned the yield might be low..
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2018   #11
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Pineapple Fog? 75 DTM, but fruit size is a saladette...

I'm trying it this year and hoping I like it more than the German Striped and Gold Medal plants that keep disappointing me with their stinginess and lateness.
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2018   #12
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

I was going to suggest Hillbilly.