Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 27, 2009   #1
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Default SSE on-line yearbook

For those of us dreaming of tomatoes but have already gone thru the catalogs we've gotten, there is the big SSE yearbook. I know the paper book doesn't get in hand til late Jan, early Feb, but the on-line version is up now.

I've been slow the last few days with a cold and didn't want to be out in the barn, so went to a couple of sites I haven't been at in ages, including the SSE public forum. There I found a question about the on-line yearbook. That reminded me to check it out again.

When I joined this fall I only had about 10 days to enter some listings. I only got a few up as iIwas too busy and the site seemed slow and a bit buggy. It also didn't actually have hardly any listings to look at at that time.

But now there are over 300 pages just in the tomato section alone. Basically it gives 15 variety names / page with an abreviated description. There is also a "more info" button where there will be a fuller description and all those that have it listed for this year.

You do have to be a SSE member and have to get a "sign-in" code the first time you try to access the yearbook. And it logs you out if you leave the browser open but minimized for a while. But you just have to log-in again. Considering the number of listings and the fact that it's meant to be "private", the site works OK.

I will be browsing it off and on now for a while, looking up varieties I've gotten or heard about here.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2009   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I also got to check out the online 2010 SSE Yearbook and am pretty impressed. In fact I'm ordering from it's listings and sending the requests out tomorrow. Ami
Old December 27, 2009   #3
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Can you give us a link? I can find the 2009 yearbook, but not the 2010.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2009   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

This is what I have http://yearbook.seedsavers.org/default.aspx

As far as I can see, it's the 2010 book.

I've only been browsing so far and haven't figured out how to actually order from the on-line. There are email links for some members tho.

Ted,

info on how to order would be nice.

Thanks,
Carol
Old December 27, 2009   #5
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Thank you!

Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2009   #6
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I just checked and found 1 of my listings so it must be the 2010.

Carol
Old December 27, 2009   #7
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

It's the 2010 as the varieties I'm ordering weren't in my 2009 yearbook. Ami
Old December 27, 2009   #8
travis
Tomatovillian™

Because I had trouble logging in, I called a couple weeks ago and asked that my password be activated. The person to whom I spoke assured me it would work for me, but it didn't and hasn't so I just gave up. Too frustrating. I hate frustrating online stuff. I guess I'll just wait for the print copy or until SSE can get their online yearbook to work right.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2009   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't yet gotten my password to log in but some of those who have have told me that there's still a message at the top that says the site is still under construction. And I'm told that the download for the 2010 SSE Request form is also not in place yet.

I do know of a few folks who have gotten requests from the online using their 2009 request form, since it's still 2009 for another week, but i think it's good to look at what the individual listers are saying about how they want requests sent.

I'm told a very few allow for e-mail requests, most don't, and I know that I said I would accept requests only with the official 2010 SSE request form, having had problems in the past with folks using other ways of contacting me.

Also, I'm told that the individual blurbs each of us write with our personal information are not that accessible, if they are there, so I'd appreciate those of you who have your passwords if maybe you could look for your own personal blurbs, the ones usually at the front of the paper Yearbook and tell me if they are there.

I know from this and that person that there have been some glitches with the online, and I had thought when it was open for requests that that would be said somewhere and the bit about still under construction would disappear and that the download for the 2010 SSE request form would also be there.

But what do I know since I haven't accessed it myself yet.
Old December 27, 2009   #10
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Travis, if your password is more than 7 characters long, pick a new one that is at least 5 but not more than 7 characters. The person you spoke to may not have known about the 7-character maximum length. I had trouble at first too, because the first password I picked was too long.

You can email membership@seedsavers.org and ask them to reset your password, and when they send you the reset one, change it to the new password you picked.

Are you sure it's the 2010 Yearbook that you're trying to log in to? The link to it is http://yearbook.seedsavers.org/
I don't think you can log in to the 2009 one, which is at a different URL.

Although the listings are viewable, as far as I know the 2010 online Yearbook is not in its final form yet. Work is still being done on it, and as has been noticed, some important parts have yet to be added.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2009   #11
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I too think it's not quite done yet.

I don't get that under construction message at all. I CAN browse listings and I'm starting to make a wish list.

But I can't see any link for actually ordering anything other than emailing on the listings where the member has their link.

I can't see any of the member info yet. I can see my own blurb thru the "edit" part, but you can only see your own info there.

There is a "confirm member status" link where you enter a last name and zip. But all you get back is "member exists". Not even "listing member" or not.

So yes the site needs some work yet.

My original post tho wasn't so much for using the whole site as much as being able to browse for varieties and info. That's what I'm doing with it right now.

Carol
Old December 31, 2009   #12
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

The entire online presence of SSE is questionable.

Every time we try to use nearly any online function we get errors or some other problem.
The search function for the online yearbook is extremely buggy. What good is an online yearbook without a good search engine?

Today I attempted to renew my membership and got the following error....

The web cart is currently closed. Please try again later or place a phone order now. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Grrrrrr!!!!

SSE it's time to stop spending money on "fluff" and pay attention to the fundamentals!!!

Those letters begging for money will go unanswered until we see the money already sent spent in a more productive way!

Sorry!

It's just extremely frustrating to have problems EVERY time we access the site regardless of operating system, web browser, etc. !!!

~DiggingDog
DiggingDogFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2010   #13
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Know what your talking about. The good thing about the online Yearbook is it's the 2010 Yearbook so I can browse through it and see the new offerings. I've already made 4 requests. So you don't need to wait for the hard copy as the information is there and for those that will be planting out next month they can order ahead of time and still receive their seeds by planting time. Ami
Old January 1, 2010   #14
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Ami,

As a returning member you seem to be able to make requests. But as a new member, I don't see any way that I can yet.

The other thing is there is no page with the codes for the commercial companies. I have a wish list of varieties and would order some of them from the companies members got them from IF I knew who they were. Since that company code page shouldn't change much from year to year, why isn't that a basic page right from the start ?

The same for the "rules and regs" page. I assume that has to do with how you order and how much it costs and how many seeds you are supposed to send. That should be a simple copy / paste job from year to year.

Actually SSE must have been doing some work on the yearbook on Wed as the whole thing was messed up compared to how it had been on Tue. The alpha links at the bottom of the listings had disapeared. And the page number links weren't going to the pages they were supposed to. They seemed to be jumping randomly. Next to impossible to find anything that wasn't on the first couple of pages of a type.

As of last nite tho it was back to how it had been.

But that is still quite lacking.

Carol
Old January 1, 2010   #15
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Carol, I'll see if I can scan the pages required to order from the Yearbook and get them to you. Ami