Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 29, 2009   #1
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

Default What is a soil pocket?

Read this in an early thread, but no comprehendo, I'm afraid...

"If I were in your situation, I think I'd probably err on the side of caution and try to make a just a bit of an informal soil pocket for each transplant (let's say 4-6 inches deep, feathering/blending that pocket out about 6-8 inches or so from the plant."

Is it perhaps the donut shaped dam of soil that would pool water at the plants stem??
huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2009   #2
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsman View Post
If I were in your situation, I think I'd probably err on the side of caution and try to make a just a bit of an informal soil pocket for each transplant (let's say 4-6 inches deep, feathering/blending that pocket out about a 6-8 inches or so from the plant.
In my understanding a soil pocket is simply a small amount of good soil surrounded by bad one (rock, clay, sand or whatever). The good soil could be bought in a nursery, or you could mix it yourself if you have the means. But that is only my opinion, and I could well be wrong, English not being my home language.
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2009   #3
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I think Gunnar has the meaning right. At least i think so.

The problem is that that advice has been disproven a long time ago. At least it has been with things like tree and shrub transplants.

If you make a nice small area of rich soil right around the plant, the roots will be slow to venture out of that rich area. Eventually the plant becomes stunted do to the roots becoming "pot bound" in that pocket. It's better to build up your whole soil bed than just a little pocket.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2009   #4
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, that does make sense, Carol!

Read that in a 2006 post, but I guess a lot has changed since then.

Hey Gunnar! Great to hear from you again, my friend!

Paul
Old December 29, 2009   #5
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Carol is right, planting a tree or shrub in a soil pocket is like planting it in a small container. Why would the roots venture out of their cozy pocket?

But I planted my tomato transplants in soil pockets one year when I'd piled a foot of horse manure on my garden plot in the fall, and by spring it was down to 6 inches or less. I thought it had decomposed enough, but still, I dumped 5 gallons of homemade compost in each hole.

Soil pockets may also be advised if you've done lasagna gardening or sheet mulching, and you want to plant small transplants before the layers have fully decomposed. Or if you want to do some direct seeding and don't have a soillike layer to seed into.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2009   #6
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

I was actually concerned that this phenomena might occur, so when I was preparing the veg patch this year, I dug the entire patch to a depth of 3' and composted heavily.

Lasagna gardening and sheet mulching are concepts not yet known to me, but I'm sure I'll get there in time. "-)
Old December 30, 2009   #7
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hey Gunnar! Great to hear from you again, my friend!

Paul
Here it is winter now (and frost), so basically we are doing nothing in the garden.
In your place (and generally in the Southern hemisphere) it must be summer, and in your case very hot. But I don't know if your climate is humid like Florida, or more dry like Southern California, or in between as Southern Texas.
I registered here to read about potatoes (mostly from Tom Wagner), and also read some of Carolyn's (carolyn137) advice on tomatoes. Most often I don't recognize people if they don't use ythe same monikers as in IDig, and of course I didn't look into your profile to find out, that you are breewding/farming cockroaches. I hope yor tomatoes are doing well, and I will also try them on a bigger scale next year.
Old December 30, 2009   #8
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Gunnar,

Welcome to Tomatoville! It looks like you picked three beautiful cities in which to "study and work" for a "retired" person. Haven't been to those three in 20 or more years, but I remember my trips there fondly. I used to live in Luzern, CH and London, UK and like most students spent allot of time travelling about as cheaply as possible. And later while working as a retail buyer, I travelled again to many European countries to meet with suppliers of goods that I imported to Canada. So I got a chance to go back to some of those same places, plus added more to my list. I've got a bucket/dream list itinerary for the future, and Prague, in particular, Denmark and Poland are definitely on it.

Hmmm.....getting itchy feet to travel again, just thinking about it. I look forward to hearing what you plan on growing there.

Zana
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2009   #9
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Read this in an early thread, but no comprehendo, I'm afraid...

"If I were in your situation, I think I'd probably err on the side of caution and try to make a just a bit of an informal soil pocket for each transplant (let's say 4-6 inches deep, feathering/blending that pocket out about 6-8 inches or so from the plant."
That was me. I also said:

Quote:
Don't make the soil pocket too rich, though, or the plant roots won't want to leave that area. Maybe just a mix of bagged compost or topsoil mixed by about half with native soil.
In context, my suggestion was made to KCMO_Don because he had a lot of organic matter in his beds that had not yet broken down, and was a little concerned about it.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=527

However/in general, I agree with what Carol and others have said earlier in this thread.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2009   #10
Marko
Tomatovillian™

I planted one tomato and one pepper plant in soil pocket this season. Soil pocket was small, ~1 cu ft, consisted of bought pot soil mixed with garden soil and hygromull. Both were growing much better than other plants.
Yes, It's true that tomato roots did't venture out of soil pocket, but who cares when you double your yield .
This is just my observation, not scientific research.
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2009   #11
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the clarity and the contributions -

Good recollection there, Suze! 'Twas indeed you that posted, but soooo long ago...

I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast!

Last edited by huntsman; December 31, 2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old January 12, 2010   #12
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post
Gunnar,

Welcome to Tomatoville! It looks like you picked three beautiful cities in which to "study and work" for a "retired" person. Haven't been to those three in 20 or more years, but I remember my trips there fondly. I used to live in Luzern, CH and London, UK and like most students spent allot of time travelling about as cheaply as possible. And later while working as a retail buyer, I travelled again to many European countries to meet with suppliers of goods that I imported to Canada. So I got a chance to go back to some of those same places, plus added more to my list. I've got a bucket/dream list itinerary for the future, and Prague, in particular, Denmark and Poland are definitely on it. Zana
Thank you for the welcome, Zana. I haven't been to Prague for a very long time since I finished studying and made my degree(s) back in 1982. Of course I worked in Denmark most of the time, and I had the opportunity to be in Poland for two years and participate in the introduction of digital cell phones (GSM) there in 1996 after the fall of communism. After a Car accident in 2006 I lost my job and spent several months in hospital, and I'm now on disability (so the "retired" label is correct, and I guess I should continue this in "conversations").