Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 11, 2010   #1
catwabbit
Tomatovillian™

Default All said, I think I'm a pretty lucky gal

Hello to all at Tomatoville! You won't know me, as I really haven't posted. Oh, I've read all the forums for quite some time now (and almost feel like I actually know more than a few of you). I've grown lots of veggies and flowers from seed with terrific result. The thing is, I've lived in apartments all my adult life, with no place to actually have a garden of my own. All my plants went to other homes, so I didn't really feel I had anything to contribute here.

All that changed last June, when my husband and I bought our first house (first for me, he's owned before). He's known about my lifelong dream of having a big vegetable garden, and he's bound and determined to make it happen. That man spent a good part of the day yesterday outside in 30 degree F weather (this is a man who thinks 70 degrees is chilly) building 6 of 8 raised beds for me. I started a big variety of tomato seeds on Thursday night, with germination at 80% as of Sunday morning (peppers and eggplants hopefully to follow suit soon). Best yet: the kittens haven't yet figured out how to get to the seedlings for a little light snacking!

It's been a tough fall/winter since I injured myself at work; I've been off work since late September (and officially dropped from my RN job as of mid-December), had rotator cuff surgery on one arm and surgery to rebuild an arthritic thumb joint on the opposite hand. I don't know if there'll be a job to go back to when recovery is done. But dare I say it, this is the first time in a long time I'm feeling pretty positive and actually happy right in this moment -- and believe me I'm an experienced worrier.

It seems like a simple thing, growing a garden, but sometimes it's so much more. So many of you have been a real inspiration to me, if only because I see again and again that gardening makes *you* happy in the moment too. That seems to be a precious, precious thing in today's world.

So thanks, and keep a good thought that I'm hopefully as good at growing things as I am starting them from seed.

Charlotte
catwabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2010   #2
ssi912
Tomatovillian™

Default surgery, well, it sucks!

i had screws put into my foot on dec. 14, non-weight bearing until jan. 28. luckily i work for family owned tree trimming company. i didnt lose my income. i also lived in a condo when i first started growing from seed. did the same as you, gave most of the seedlings away. i now have a house with a small yard. i built a box to grow my veggies and flowers in. we acquired a new truck yard last year that is about an acre. we only use about a quarter of the space. i set up a huge garden last year and plan on doing same this year. i would think being an RN would be a great advantage right now. there always in demand. with the large aging population is this country, you should have plenty of work for a while. cant worry about the things you cant control. focus on getting better as quick as possible. i have used this situation as a lesson from life to learn from. save money, because you never now what will happen next. dont rely on th gov. to help you, or anyone else for that matter, and if they do, thats just a bonus. what doesnt kill you will just make you stronger. your a survivor. its the american way. best wishes for your '010 garden.
ssi912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2010   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

From a fellow Texan and the rest of the group thank you for your kind words.
I hope you have lots of luck at your new place with the garden.
Many folks like you read the forums without posting and that’s fine by all of us but remember, your input is just as valuable as the rest of ours is.
And don’t be afraid to ask questions from time to time.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2010   #4
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

As an official member of the "glass half full" club, I am sorry to have another drop in membership, but welcome to the "dirt diggers" society and the Tomatoville active posting group. Lots of good people here who will gladly help out. By this time next year you will be one of the "experts". Have a good year and keep us posted.

Have you copyrighted the phrase, "experienced worrier"? I could use that, if I may.
Old January 11, 2010   #5
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

Welcom to TV from another DFW'er (is that a word?!)
There is tons of great info here (as you've no doubt discovered!) and TV members are the best! (especially those who live in Texas!)
Good luck on your garden this year. What types of each are you growning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catwabbit View Post
Hello to all at Tomatoville! You won't know me, as I really haven't posted. Oh, I've read all the forums for quite some time now (and almost feel like I actually know more than a few of you). I've grown lots of veggies and flowers from seed with terrific result. The thing is, I've lived in apartments all my adult life, with no place to actually have a garden of my own. All my plants went to other homes, so I didn't really feel I had anything to contribute here.

All that changed last June, when my husband and I bought our first house (first for me, he's owned before). He's known about my lifelong dream of having a big vegetable garden, and he's bound and determined to make it happen. That man spent a good part of the day yesterday outside in 30 degree F weather (this is a man who thinks 70 degrees is chilly) building 6 of 8 raised beds for me. I started a big variety of tomato seeds on Thursday night, with germination at 80% as of Sunday morning (peppers and eggplants hopefully to follow suit soon). Best yet: the kittens haven't yet figured out how to get to the seedlings for a little light snacking!

It's been a tough fall/winter since I injured myself at work; I've been off work since late September (and officially dropped from my RN job as of mid-December), had rotator cuff surgery on one arm and surgery to rebuild an arthritic thumb joint on the opposite hand. I don't know if there'll be a job to go back to when recovery is done. But dare I say it, this is the first time in a long time I'm feeling pretty positive and actually happy right in this moment -- and believe me I'm an experienced worrier.

It seems like a simple thing, growing a garden, but sometimes it's so much more. So many of you have been a real inspiration to me, if only because I see again and again that gardening makes *you* happy in the moment too. That seems to be a precious, precious thing in today's world.

So thanks, and keep a good thought that I'm hopefully as good at growing things as I am starting them from seed.

Charlotte
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2010   #6
yotetrapper
Tomatovillian™

How exciting for you. Now you can learn to can (if you dont know how yet) and put up jars and jars of tomatoes, pastes, sauces, salsas, etc., while helping to cut down on your food bill. We have a place here, and I love it, not very big, just a little over an acre, but it works. I raise chickens and ducks, quail, have fruit trees, and grow a big garden. I dont buy very much as far as fruits, veggies, eggs and chicken goes, LOL.
yotetrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2010   #7
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Congrats on the new garden Charlotte. You will find folks are very helpful here.I won't be starting maters for a month yet up here in frozen rural Michigan. So what maters ya got for this year?

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2010   #8
catwabbit
Tomatovillian™

Thank you guys for your welcome and words of encouragement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssi912 View Post
i have used this situation as a lesson from life to learn from. save money, because you never now what will happen next. dont rely on th gov. to help you, or anyone else for that matter, and if they do, thats just a bonus. what doesnt kill you will just make you stronger. your a survivor.
Wise words from such a young person, ssi912. Actually, that's the way I've viewed a lot of things in life -- tough times can indeed make you stronger, as well as better able to understand and help others.

Worth, I'm really liking a lot about Texas, but I can't claim to be a native. I'm a Philly girl born and raised, but I also spent 15 years in Minnesota before moving to Texas almost five years ago. I desperately miss the ocean and always will, but other than that Texas feels more like home than Minnesota did. (And heck, I'd rather be a little too warm down here than have my toes freezing all the time!) I always have to laugh when I read about your motorcycle adventures; one of the reasons I moved down here was to have good weather to ride my Harley. Then I experienced DFW traffic (and got my car crushed by a tractor trailer when the driver decided to turn left from the right lane) and, well, I finally sold my baby to someone out in the country. The drivers here are not the best.

Awww PaulF, I'm not a negative Nelly, honest. I suppose I've had the need to duck and cover enough in life that it becomes instinct. I'm learning at this late stage to simply breathe and enjoy more of the little things, and it feels pretty nice I have to tell you.

Canning, oh yes, I shall be learning how to can! My late sister learned so many skills from her native Italian mother-in-law back when we were in our 20s, and since that time I've longed to have those skills. I actually just went out and got the Ball book the other evening, so I think this is the year I'll be learning to put up some goodies.

As for what I'll be growing, I can at least tell you what I've started:

Brandywine (Sudduth's)
Yellow Brandywine (Platfoot)
Brandywine OTV
Earl's Faux
Cherokee Purple
Stump of the World
Trucker's Favorite
Eva Purple Ball
Stupice
Sungold
Black Cherry
Bi-color Cherry
Cheeseman's
Roma VF
Extreme Bush
New Big Dwarf
Orange King
Principe Borghese
Amish Paste
Marmande
Jet Star Hybrid

Peppers:
Wenck's Yellow Hot
Bulgarian Carrot
Anaheim
Jimmy Nardello
Cubanelle
Alma Paprika
Aji Dulci
Sweet Cherry
Canary Belle
Beaver Dam

Eggplant:
Rosa Bianca (a favorite)
Rosita

I have so many other varieties of tomato seed I have no room for... and now that I look at my list I wish I had started some of them too. Next year I'll try a few more.

I always grow about 6 different types of basil, probably will try a couple more this year. We're also planning to grown some onions, carrrots, beans, garlic, squash, and maybe a watermelon (ick) for my husband.

So that's the plan (for now)... we have to order the soil for the raised beds pretty soon and get things ready. Ours is a new home in a new development with a decent sized south-facing backyard (our yard is 10' deeper than the rest of the development). No shade trees etc. at this point. Lots to think about, as all I know about growing in Texas is what I've read rather than what I've learned by experience. But I love researching and experimenting, so it's all good.

Don't know if I'll ever be an expert, but I'm very, very excited to finally have a garden to play with. I really had come to think I probably never would. Life is good.

Charlotte

Last edited by catwabbit; January 12, 2010 at 07:27 PM.
catwabbit is offline   Reply With Quote