Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old October 12, 2008   #16
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Did you ever update everyone on your plants? I was going through the forums and found this thread, I was wondering how they did. Was it TSWV? I saw you were in PA, which woud be unusally far north for the TSWV, unless you bought seedlings already affected, like I did one year.

CECIL
Old November 18, 2008   #17
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Hi,

I'm a new member here and have just been going thru some older threads. I don't know if this problem was ever solved and I know that the weather probably solved it for this year.

It looks to me like aphid damage. The curling of new groth is a give away to look for aphids. That sooty black color is another clue as is the white flecks in a couple of the pics. If the plants or fruit were "sticky" that would be the convincer.

We had a horrible aphid problem this year on our eggplants. Never saw it so bad in 30 years of gardening. In my case I believe it was the lack of hardly any hard rains for about 2+ months that gave them the growing conditions they needed.

The sticky "honeydew" residue on the fruit will wash off fairly easily. A good spray with the hose would wash off / kill enough of the aphids that the plant might get ahead of them. There are plenty of chemical sprays that will help too.
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2009   #18
Tomatovator
Tomatovillian™

Cecil, I never really found out what the problem was with the plants. My mother passed away in August 2008 and that sort of took the fun out of the gardening (and everything else) as she was the big tomato lover in the family. I didn't keep any records like I usually would either. I let the plants grow for awhile but as I recall they really didn't produce much except for the Black Cherry that kept producing at a slow rate most of the summer.
Tomatovator is offline   Reply With Quote