Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 18, 2009   #1
birddog
Tomatovillian™

Default Fungus or mold or ????

First off. Thank you for everybody on this forum. This is my first post...I haven't had to ask anything yet. I have found most/all the answers I have needed throughout the threads that are already posted. Great Site. Now to my question...
I brought in a load of hardwood roughcut mulch for my pathways. A week later I noticed a fungus growing in spots. It has since spread to 10-15 differnt spots on the mulch and also onto my garden beds. If you get it wet it seems to blow a fine dust into the air. It seems to resemble some type of mushroom gone crazy. does anybody have any ideas on identification, cause and/or treatment (if necessary)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garden 008.jpg (328.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg garden 011.jpg (294.5 KB, 38 views)
Old May 18, 2009   #2
birddog
Tomatovillian™

P.S. The pathways are set around raised beds. They do not receive water (except rainfall) or any chemicals, fertilizers, etc. The fungus/mold is 95% in the pathways only. There a re a few 2-3 places where it has gotten into the raised beds. There does not seem to be a pattern as far as spreading. Again, thank you in avance. Also, I know this is not a direct "tomato" question so if I need to move the thread please let me know.
Old May 18, 2009   #3
kwselke
Tomatovillian™

My guess is slime mold. It should not cause your plants any problems. Here's a link: http://ktrh.com/pages/gardenline_new...lk_8-21-08.htm
kwselke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2009   #4
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Slime molds are SOOOOOO Cool! We used to find them in the Olympic National Park on the rainy side! They are utterly benign - give it water & watch - majorly cool botanical action will ensue!
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009   #5
birddog
Tomatovillian™

99.9% sure it is slime mold. Thank you for the link and the info. It grosses my wife out, but I think I am going to let it go.
Funny thing, the sites all say it likes a moist environment. We are in the middle of a severe drought (18+" below average rainfall.) We are also on watering schedule set by the county. If the veggies fail, I wonder if there is a market for slime mold . Thank You for the replies.