Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old March 19, 2009   #16
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Would it be the Woodpecker? I do hope so 'cause I just spent time yesterday cutting down all the small trees around the outside of the house. 10 trees leaning up against the house, is 10 trees too many! Shrubbery, yes. Trees NO. Whatever they were, they were invasive by Root. The squirrely ones were making holes in every part of the roof. Besides, I need the room for better things; like more tomatoes and veggies.

The small birds and Woodpeckers were annoyed, but they have bigger trees to tend to out front and in the back.

~* Robin
Old March 23, 2009   #17
travis
Tomatovillian™

If your infestation of stink bugs is tolerable to the extent that you're getting a decent yield of high quality fruit for fresh eating, you may want to observe which varieties are particularly susceptible to stink bug infestation and use a few of those plants as trap plants.

One variety I noticed attracts stink bugs in greater amounts is Big Beef. So what I've done from time to time is to lightly beat the bushes to stir up the stink bugs and drive them from the other plants and let them land on the Big Beef plants where I spray them with Sevin.

It's not that I'm afraid to eat tomatoes after spraying them with Sevin, rather I like to be able to provide seeds saved from plants that haven't been treated with synthetic pesticides. Besides, I like to keep the use of synthetic pesticides to a minimum in my home garden and mostly use them on ornamentals and trap plants.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote