Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 8, 2022   #1
wxcrawler
Tomatovillian™

Default Polaris

I've got to give another big shout-out to Karen Olivier and her True North tomatoes. They've all been really good, and Polaris is my favorite. This one weighed in at 10.6 ounces today. I tried Polaris for the first time last year, and it's now on my must grow list every year. It has a similar sweetness and tanginess to one of its parents, Captain Lucky, but also has that "little sumthin-sumthin", kind of smokey flavor you get with some of the dark tomatoes. The flavor combination is unique and fantastic. As a bonus, it's been the most disease-resistant plant in my garden again this year. The wind, heavy rain, heat, and humidity take a big toll here in Tulsa, and early blight and gray mold have hit most of my plants. Polaris shows very little of it. If you're looking for a new dark tomato, consider giving Polaris a try.

Thank you, Karen, for all of your contributions to the tomato world. Your True Norths and the KARMAs you created with Marsha are all wonderful. I'm sure the new ones you have on deck will be equally good.

If you aren't familiar with Karen's work, check out her Northern Gardener Facebook page.

Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Polaris.jpg (157.5 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg Polaris_cut.jpg (84.6 KB, 320 views)
wxcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2022   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Big meaty fruit this early in the year
Thank you for posting Lee! I’m very happy to hear of your experience with the vigour and overall health and disease tolerance of Polaris in your climate. I find it very vigourous and adaptable here as well as tough as nails when it comes to fungus.
Have a wonderful season!
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2022   #3
Hensaplenty
Tomatovillian™

Dittos! One of my favorites, too! Thank you, Karen!
Hensaplenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2022   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hensaplenty View Post
Dittos! One of my favorites, too! Thank you, Karen!
Oh that’s so great to hear! I have some new beefsteaks almost ready, I hope to release at least one this summer and I hope folks will want to try those as well
Have a wonderful season!
KarenO
Old June 13, 2022   #5
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Great to see this! After growing Tundra for the last couple years, I had to try Polaris this year. Mine is growing vigorously and flowering nicely. Also a very healthy in what has been a wet and cool June thus far (two days of very hot/humid weather ahead Tuesday and Wednesday this week).
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2022   #6
ClarkB
Tomatovillian™

I was telling myself I should really start a thread on Polaris then this popped up. This is my second year growing it. Near the top for flavor and plant health last year in my garden. Looking great again this year. Seed started on March 19, went in the ground May 12 (zone 5b), photos June 10 at about 30" tall. This plant is such a vivid green with somewhat shiny leaves - a real beauty. Just a great variety all around IMHO. Well done Karen. Can't wait to give your new one(s) a try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Polaris 2022-6-10.jpg (207.4 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg PolarisFruit 2022-6-10.jpg (256.8 KB, 238 views)
ClarkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2022   #7
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxcrawler View Post
I've got to give another big shout-out to Karen Olivier and her True North tomatoes. They've all been really good, and Polaris is my favorite. This one weighed in at 10.6 ounces today. I tried Polaris for the first time last year, and it's now on my must grow list every year. It has a similar sweetness and tanginess to one of its parents, Captain Lucky, but also has that "little sumthin-sumthin", kind of smokey flavor you get with some of the dark tomatoes. The flavor combination is unique and fantastic. As a bonus, it's been the most disease-resistant plant in my garden again this year. The wind, heavy rain, heat, and humidity take a big toll here in Tulsa, and early blight and gray mold have hit most of my plants. Polaris shows very little of it. If you're looking for a new dark tomato, consider giving Polaris a try.

Thank you, Karen, for all of your contributions to the tomato world. Your True Norths and the KARMAs you created with Marsha are all wonderful. I'm sure the new ones you have on deck will be equally good.

If you aren't familiar with Karen's work, check out her Northern Gardener Facebook page.

Lee
Hello From Mrsjustice
Please tell me about your "True North tomatoes". I am looking for a tomatoes that was grown there in Oklahoma. I know that "Large Red" Heirloom Tomatoes were Cultivated in many area of the United States in 1820". With all that Love I seen from the Women's Softball Championship Games. There was some much love all over the place. Than you'll had Native Hawaiian Parents coming to the New historical Home of many Native Americans that was powerful to the soul, Amen!!. The Parents travelling so far to see their children Play was the "Pure American Love" that many people and News Station Missed out on. Even with the Parents from Texas took my heart away. We Cheered for Both Teams, as Texas Truly Love their Native Americans too. I felted in my heart that the people of Oklahoma would just the Parents of Jocelyn Alo from Hawaii a great Tour of many parts of Oklahoma, Amen!! Her Father Spirit was just wonderful. The Oklahoma People who gave-up their softball their cough to go to the Parents was also my Hero's Amen, from my long Farming Days in the Hot Sun Amen!!!!
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2022   #8
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hello Joyce,
If interested in my breeding projects and specifically the group known as the “ true north “ series, there are quite a few threads and post going back to 2013 here on tomatoville.
If you are on social media, northerngardenercanada is me on Facebook and Instagram. I post daily on both. All are welcome
KarenO
Old June 23, 2022   #9
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

I am growing this in my CT garden this year for the first time and super excited to try it. I started my seed on March 20 which is very late for me. My plant looks great, but is far behind the fruits of the Syracuse Polaris pictured above. This seems to be 'normal' this year as all my tomatoes seem to be running behind. Not even a cherry yet this year! I did have flowers, but then we had a few days of 90+ days. We just recently got over a really chilly number of days (in the low 60's in June!) and now we're in for another hot spell.

My whole garden seems stunted this year as far as fruit set and I am flustered. Can't wait to try Polaris though!!!!
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2022   #10
ClarkB
Tomatovillian™

Here are the 2 from my earlier 6/13 post picked after blush on 7/16 and cut 5 days later. Both were a little over a pound. Meaty, nice small cores. Really tasty - my favorites so far this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7361.jpg (215.9 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7362.jpg (89.4 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7363.jpg (80.3 KB, 122 views)
Old July 24, 2022   #11
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkB View Post
Here are the 2 from my earlier 6/13 post picked after blush on 7/16 and cut 5 days later. Both were a little over a pound. Meaty, nice small cores. Really tasty - my favorites so far this year.
Really nice ones!! and thank you for noticing the lack of a core it’s an important detail in fruit quality. I dislike large sunken stem scars and cores.
Are the bottoms ok?sometimes open bottoms are an issue. One I’m trying to fix with new beefsteaks I’m working on thank you for posting your photos, they look delicious and I am kind of jealous as I haven’t had a big tomato ripe yet here
KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; July 24, 2022 at 01:12 AM.
Old July 25, 2022   #12
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

GO GO GO Karen O! Love hearing all the great reports! Haven't grown Polaris yet so 2023 it is for me.

Will the new beefsteaks be released for next season Karen?
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2022   #13
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
GO GO GO Karen O! Love hearing all the great reports! Haven't grown Polaris yet so 2023 it is for me.

Will the new beefsteaks be released for next season Karen?
Depending on seed saving yes, but will likely be fairly limited first year.
My tomatoes are not famous for xtra seediness it’s great when eating them but makes seed saving in quantity harder.
KarenO
Old July 25, 2022   #14
ClarkB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Really nice ones!! and thank you for noticing the lack of a core it’s an important detail in fruit quality. I dislike large sunken stem scars and cores.
Are the bottoms ok?sometimes open bottoms are an issue. One I’m trying to fix with new beefsteaks I’m working on thank you for posting your photos, they look delicious and I am kind of jealous as I haven’t had a big tomato ripe yet here
KarenO
These 2 were picture perfect, but I do get the occasional one with a bit of an innie, which doesn't bother me at all.

On a side note, I came in tonight kind of bummed after a couple long hours of spraying copper sulfate for Septoria and cut up my first Taiga ever (23.6 oz) to share with my daughter, and it was right up there with Polaris. We both loved it. Lifted my spirits. So thanks for my #1 and #2 favorites so far this year (and I've picked over 100lbs already - very early season for Upstate NY).

Last edited by ClarkB; July 25, 2022 at 10:45 PM.
Old July 25, 2022   #15
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkB View Post
These 2 were picture perfect, but I do get the occasional one with a bit of an innie, which doesn't bother me at all.

On a side note, I came in tonight kind of bummed after a couple long hours of spraying copper sulfate for Septoria and cut up my first Taiga ever (23.6 oz) to share with my daughter, and it was right up there with Polaris. We both loved it. Lifted my spirits. So thanks for my #1 and #2 favorites so far this year (and I've picked over 100lbs already - very early season for Upstate NY).
Oh that’s fantastic, makes my day, thank you for sharing that with me. And that’s a very big Taiga
KarenO