Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old November 15, 2007   #1
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Default Chapman, Red Penna, KBX, and NAR

Hi again. Since I hit a home run here in no time on the NBD, I thought I would ask for the best seed sources for Chapman, Red Penna, KBX, and NAR. I'm sure I could find them on the internet, but some growers here seem to prefer certain sources for specific varieties.

I'm making my list and have good sources, I think, for most everything so far...still going over it. But I need a new source for Chapman. The Red Penna I know nothing about but Carolyn gave it as a suggestion so I'm interested to know more. I've never planted KBX but was thinking it was sort of a specialty thing maybe not available with all seed stores. And seems there was something about the NAR too.

Anyway, there seems to be some preference here from time to time on different varieties and their sources. Usually asking here first is best. I just don't have a lot of experience with these. Grew NAR this year but can't remember the seed source. No experience at all with NBD, KBX, or Red Penna. (Met a friend in the forums who is sending Sunset's Red Horizon seed, so I got lucky on that.)

Thanks!

Don
Old November 16, 2007   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

The only commercial source I'm aware of for Red Penna is Sand Hill and the Red Penna seed I got from them three or four years ago was NOT Red Penna, so I won't offer you that seed. You may be able to get the real deal from them this year but they are not accepting orders right now. Their new catalog usually comes out in Feb.

I keep reading that the photo of Chapman at TGS is not really Chapman either. I tried for two or three seasons to grow Chapman from Mariseeds but I could never get the seed coats off those plants, not with spit or tweezers or anything else. So I won't offer you those seeds either. I tried with at least three different seed packets and always got the same results.

My NAR from Mariseeds grew well. I have not heard of any problems with the NAR seed from TGS either.

I do not have seeds for KBX. I don't think they are commercially available at this time. I may be wrong though. I have not seen Martha/Gardenmama on here since summer but someone else may have them to offer.

If you're able to get all these seeds, you are going to have a lot of tomato fun next summer!! Sounds good!
Old November 16, 2007   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Michele, I think it would be best if you listed your tomato wants in the future in the Forums below here at Tville that are just for that. If somneone doesn't have what you want they usually point you to a commercial seed source.

Sources for all that you mention have been found that way, and quite recently as well.

Since I hadn't seen Martha posting a lot I PMed her a few days ago and all is well with her and family, just busy.

It's not clear to me exactly which varieties you do want b/c you do or don't think this one or that one is right.

KBX I understand.

Apparently you're OK with NAR.

And what's the problem with Red Penna from Sandhill? Did you let Glenn know it was wrong? I was the source of Red Penna, NAR and yes Chapman, to Sandhill but he hasn't yet listed Chapman.

If you PM me with your address I can send you Chapman and NAR and probably Red Penna, I say probably b'c I offered I think almost all of those here at Tville in my seed offer last Spring and haven't yet inventoried my seed.

So I'll look for your PM, but I really want to know what was wrong with Red Penna from Sandhill.

Thanks.

Not a general offer folks for these days I have no good way to do seed production other than my new ones each year and thankfully bcday does the seed production for those so I can list them in the SSE YEarbook and possibly offer them here as well. Don't know yet.
Old November 16, 2007   #4
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Carolyn. Actually, I'm not looking for any of these seeds. Don is. I'm just trying to point him in the right direction.

The Red Penna seed I got from Sand Hill was from three or four years ago. I did not mention it to Glen at that time but I doubt it would do any good now. The two plants I got from that seed turned out to be determinate plants with red globes, roughly 6-8 ounces. No cracking and decent flavor, just not Red Penna. Actually, those two plants were in the tiny bunch that didn't get TSWV that summer so I was glad I had them, whatever they were. They topped out around four feet and ripened everything in about four weeks time.
Old November 16, 2007   #5
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Don. I've had a chance to go take a look at my seed stash and I still have a packet of NAR if you'd you like it. If so, PM me with your address. Maybe Carolyn will be kind enough to extend the offer she made to me to you instead and you can get Chapman and Red Penna. I have taken my bad luck with Chapman as a sign that we are just not meant to be together so I've moved on.
Old November 16, 2007   #6
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Michelle, you are very kind, but I have nothing to offer back but some commercially bought seed of the standard varieties. I hope no one thinks I am just wanting free seed. I was just asking about some good seed sources for some varieties that seem a little obscure and that I don't know a lot about. I had never heard of Red Penna till Carolyn mentioned it. But it seemed to fit what I like.

But sure, I can pm with the address, and the offer to pay or swap later if I ever have anything you might need.

Thanks!

Don
Old November 16, 2007   #7
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Don, no problem. I don't need anything in trade. No, I know you were trying to find out about commercial sources for these varieties but you may as well use these seeds anyway. I can't find the seed packet from which I grew my NAR but I do have an unopened packet from Mariseeds if you want to try it. Let me know.
Old November 16, 2007   #8
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Thanks again! I can't remember where I got NAR from last year. I had several things coming in and didn't document it as well as many here do. Still learning. In fact, the avatar I am currently using (11-16-2007) shows my best two NAR of 07. But I didn't save seed. Learning how to do that is my next project in the fascinating world of tomatoes.

PM on the way!

Don
(Wish I could email you a deep fried Cajun turkey next Thursday! And some BW Sudduth to go with it!)
Old November 16, 2007   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe Carolyn will be kind enough to extend the offer she made to me to you instead and you can get Chapman and Red Penna.

Be glad to extend that offer to Don and sorry I got mixed up on who wanted what.

NAR I have lots of and probably, as I said above, some Chapman and Red Penna as well. Just PM me your address if you wish b'c it's your decision on where you want to get your seeds from.

Don, I don't need or want any seeds back but I'll be alone here on T -Day with my two cats so you can send that deep fried Cajun Turkey to me if you wish.
Old November 16, 2007   #10
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, after that last post I am going to upgrade my server and DSL connection so I can send you that turkey! And all the fixin's too! I hope you like Vardaman, MS sweet potatoes. They will make your toes curl. (Use lots of butter.)

I have two cats too! Can't keep one out of my lap. She loves to read Hemingway with me. The other is the fisherman. We have a little lake at the foot of the hill where we fish. He's a real menace to the bullfrogs. She's friends with the ducks. (A friend dropped off three Mallards last summer...one became a pet...I would walk out to the tomato patch and look behind to see a cat and a duck following me...classic.)

So sure! PM on the way!

Don