Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 10, 2016   #16
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

I would use it.
Try to identify the disease early if it appears next year, and treat appropriately.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2016   #17
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I gotta dumm question?

How do you plan to "reuse" perlite without reusing all the stuff it was mixed with? Are you planting plants and things in pure perlite? How did that go? (Never mind, I think we got our answer.)

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2016   #18
49tandc
Tomatovillian™

The toms were planted in pure perlite. Produced 8' tall plants. I was bummed when the blight came and I lost all of those nice plants. Fed nutrients 3 times a day. All plants supported on (hay) baling twine. Nice root structure and no weeds.

Based on the responses, I decided to toss out the questionable perlite and start over in the spring. The greenhouse will have plastic covering it as well as the shade cloth. I'm preparing to move some tender ferns into the greenhouse when the cold temps come.

Thanks for all the replies,
49T&C
49tandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2016   #19
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

As i understand, if the blight was airborne (not in the water/perlite ?) then I think there would be no possibility for the spores to get into the roots/perlite. That is the nature of airborne disease. Unless your system was infected ( by something ) via the irrigation system contacting the roots.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2016   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
As i understand, if the blight was airborne (not in the water/perlite ?) then I think there would be no possibility for the spores to get into the roots/perlite. That is the nature of airborne disease. Unless your system was infected ( by something ) via the irrigation system contacting the roots.
This is true.

Make sure you dont mow kick up dust and have it settle on your plants it can and will spell early doom.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote