Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 27, 2017   #271
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

It looks like I will have the Mongolskyi Karlik seeds soon. It was a great pleasure. Thanks to Korney 19.
As for the selection of another determinant variety so I will create a list of varieties that seem to me fit for my growing in the hot bed. Than I will upload this list here and ask you Tomatoville members to help me with the selection of varieties.
Vladimír
PS.: I have an offer many interesting varieties of seeds from RJGlew.. I just have to choose well.

Last edited by MrBig46; September 27, 2017 at 12:27 PM.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2017   #272
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Season 2018
I want to sow very early determinant tomato varieties already on November 21st. It's a month earlier than last year when I sowed them on December 21st. At the beginning of April, I want to plant plants with already small fruit (not just flowering).
Beyond the Mongolskyi Karlik variety I will not try any new variety. I will cultivate the varieties that have proven to me this year (0-33, M-22, Sarayev Shtambovyi and Sophie's Choice) as well as some varieties from the unsuccessful year 2015 when the bacterial spots destroyed all of these determinant tomatoes.
They will:
Iceberg (Glacier)
Sarayev Gruntovyi
Jagodka (favorite tomato of Joseph)
Stupické polní rané
Sarayev Otbor 1 (tomato, whose seeds have brought me a bacterial spots)-
I need to clean the seeds of Sarayev Otbor 1 by dipping in bleach or in warm water according to the following instructions:
„ If it is not possible to acquire disease-free tomato seeds, your seeds should be submerged for one minute in 1.3% sodium hypochlorite, which helps eliminate bacteria on their surface. Another option exists in submerging the seeds in 122-degree Fahrenheit water for 25 minutes. This will affect surface and inner seed bacteria, but might adversely affect the plant’s germination.“
Vladimír
Old November 8, 2017   #273
bower
Tomatovillian™

Awesome plan to start so early! I look forward to your results.
With regards the seed treatment, will you be able to tell if it was successful, while still at the seedling stage?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2017   #274
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
"Another option exists in submerging the seeds in 122-degree Fahrenheit water for 25 minutes. This will affect surface and inner seed bacteria, but might adversely affect the plant’s germination.“
Vladimír
If you have a sous vide' machine (according to google, the translation is: под вакуумом ),it is very easy to do the hot water treatment. If you do not have one, the hot water treatment is very difficult. It does not affect germination immediately if done right (in fact, the seeds may germinate more quickly if planted immediately after), but I am told it will shorten the life of the seeds to a few years.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2017   #275
Moshou
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
If it is not possible to acquire disease-free tomato seeds, your seeds should be submerged for one minute in 1.3% sodium hypochlorite, which helps eliminate bacteria on their surface.
Take care, Vladimir. When making the solution, you must put sodium hypochlorite in water, not water in sodium hypochlorite
Old November 13, 2017   #276
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

This has been a long thread. I might given an opinion.
Anyway , I recommend Silvery Fir Tree. I think it is originally from Russia.
It is real eraly, about 60 DTM, It sets lots of tomatoes of about 4 to 7 oz. But the taste is on the acidic side.
It is a very compact vaiety , about 2 ft tall but bushy. I have grown it in 4 gallon pot successfully. It has always been my first ripe tomato of the season.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2017   #277
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
This has been a long thread. I might given an opinion.
Anyway , I recommend Silvery Fir Tree. I think it is originally from Russia.
It is real eraly, about 60 DTM, It sets lots of tomatoes of about 4 to 7 oz. But the taste is on the acidic side.
It is a very compact vaiety , about 2 ft tall but bushy. I have grown it in 4 gallon pot successfully. It has always been my first ripe tomato of the season.
Yes, Marie Danilenko in Russian sent seeds to SSE and it's been listed there forever in the Annual Yearbooks.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Silvery_Fir_Tree

But note at the bottom of Tania's link that she also lists it as carrot like. That's a problem as well since

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Carrot-Like

Andrey from Minsk says that SFT and CL have two different genetic backgrounds.

As you can see from the links above I've grown both and regardless of backgrounds I didn't like either one.

I think I already posted in this thread about the early det's I would grow,which are few, and I'm not going to go back and see if I did such a post. It doesn't have a high priority on my lengthy to do list right now.

Carolyn
Old November 13, 2017   #278
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir

Have you tried Ondraszek ...... looks like a good one

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/O...b=General_Info
Old November 14, 2017   #279
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Between 2016 and 2017, these varieties did not work for me: Sarayev Druzhnyi, I-22, Sarayev Stoikyi, Latah, Darinka F1, Kalinka, Urbikany, Maglia Rosa, Mountain Princess. The others I've grown will be tested in 2018 (I'm still not sure if it's 42 days too).
I do not have a place for other varieties. I will try the other recommended varieties only in 2019: Silvery Fir Tree, Ondraszek,…..
Valerian, thank you for your reminders. I will use a bleaching agent sold under the name SAVO - 5%.
I do not have a sous vide 'machine. In Russian -под вакуумом, in Czech- ve vakuu
Vladimír
Old November 15, 2017   #280
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I apologize Vladimir, I should have translated into Czech!

Nan
Old November 16, 2017   #281
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

You have no reason to apologize.
Vladimír
Old November 25, 2017   #282
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I am sick. I'm not leaving the house, lying in bed and swallowing antibiotics. Yesterday I planted the seeds for my hotbed:
Sarayev Gruntovyi
0-33
M-22
Sarayev Shtambovyi
Sarayev Otbor 1 (I treated the seeds with hypochlorite)
Jagodka
Stupické polní rané
Mongolskyi karlik
Sophie´s Choice
Iceberg (Glacier)
Tomato season 2018 started for me !!!
Vladimír
Old November 25, 2017   #283
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir, I'm sorry you're sick, and I hope the antibiotics let you feel better soon. It's good that you got the hotbed seeds in! I look forward to hearing how they perform.

Get well,

Nan
Old November 25, 2017   #284
bower
Tomatovillian™

Get well soon, and congratulations on the start of your 2018 season already!!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2017   #285
MdTNGrdner

Sending Get Well Wishes, Vladimir! Planting your seeds surely gives you lots to look forward to and I hope you will see them sprouting soon!!