Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 22, 2015   #61
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Big Zac.

Not for eating but for size.

Last edited by PA_Julia; April 22, 2015 at 06:30 AM.
PA_Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2015   #62
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Jagodka

Because it is highly productive in my short growing season. It grows well in cold weather even though it is quite frost sensitive.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2015   #63
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Captain Lucky, KBX, Cherokee Purple, Earl's Faux, Terhune

Probably adding George Detsikas Italian Red, but this will be just the second year I've grown it.
Old April 22, 2015   #64
matereater
Tomatovillian™

Cherokee Purple
Sungold

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2015   #65
Bulldog1998
Tomatovillian™

Eva Purple Ball for standard tomato. Produces well in our hot humid summers; doesn't seem to shut down like other varieties. Flavor is great.

Matt's Wild Cherry. Just fun to watch it go nuts. Also great tomato taste for a cherry type.
Bulldog1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2015   #66
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

Chocolate stripes
Pork chop

Carbon
Indian stripe
Cherokee purple

Barlow Japanese
Sibirskiy velikan rozovuy
Orange Russian 117
Anna Russian

Blush

Sun Gold and other colorful cherry varieties White cherry, Chocolate cherry, Remy Rouge, Rose Quartz Multiflora . . . . .

Jaune Flamme
Stupice or Moravskiy div
Gold medal
Beauty king
Ponderosa pink
Karrr_Luda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2015   #67
SummerSky
Tomatovillian™

Oooo, that's a tough one... My number one tomato right now is Burpee's Big Mama hybrid, because it's one of the first varieties I started growing and it's toughed out all the crap I've thrown at it learning how to garden. My garden would just be weird without it. However, because it's a hybrid and not a "classic" hybrid (like Big Boy), I don't trust Burpee to not randomly drop it in favor of something else. That's one of the reasons I got into open pollinated varieties, so I didn't have to rely on a company to keep the goods for me. I'm still learning which of these plants fit me and my garden best. I'm thinking of hunting down a stabilized Big Mama, since I don't have the patience to stabilize it myself...

Black Krim and Japanese Plum have a place close to my heart. They are my first seed saving endeavors and I'll probably always have a couple of them in the garden. They may be sentimental projects, but they remind me of my newbi learning years.

On a less sentimental note, last year I was extremely fond of Speckled Roman and Santa Maria and unless I find something I like better than those two, they are staying in my garden for the foreseeable future.

Obviously, sauce is the main reason I grow tomatoes. I have no idea how any of these taste fresh, but they all taste pretty good when milled, reduced, and had spices added to them!
SummerSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2015   #68
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

Default Cherokee Green

Trying Cherokee Green for the first time this year and I have my hopes up. Maybe next year it will be in my "MUST GROW!!" list. Thanks for the share!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinejs View Post
Interesting and fun read, but I have to tell you that you all are wrong. None of you
listed Cherokee Green which is the epitome of wonderful taste and the standard by which
all other tomatoes (including the Brandywines) should be judged. It is the yardstick for
comparisons. Did I mention that it is also beautiful?? I am sure this was either an oversight
on the part of all poster to this thread or they have just never tasted Cherokee Green. If
the latter is true, I extend my sympathies and you have my heartfelt sympathies for better luck
in the future.

The above sentiments are my presentation of fact and not the least bit opinionated.
Karrr_Luda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2015   #69
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

Yikes, I screwed up already with "just one", just one would be impossible for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
List 1 of your favorite Must Grow Tomato. Trying to make up a list for the Fall Garden.

Thanks in Advance!
Old April 22, 2015   #70
Captain Neon
Tomatovillian™

Brandywine Pink is my favourite OP. However, if I were only permitted one variety to grow, it is Better Boy.
Captain Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2015   #71
charley
Tomatovillian™

goose creek is my fav for taste...i am growing cherokee green and aunt rubys this year and cherokee green is out producing argg 5 to 1 but it all comes down to taste
Old April 22, 2015   #72
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrr_Luda View Post
Trying Cherokee Green for the first time this year and I have my hopes up. Maybe next year it will be in my "MUST GROW!!" list. Thanks for the share!
Me,too. Along with a bunch of new to me oranges,greens,reds and blacks.
Cherokee Purple and Carbon Copy are must grows,although I exchanged Spudakee for CP this year.
Matt's Wild Cherry is another for me. I'm also trying Tess's so they can compete!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2015   #73
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
List 1 of your favorite Must Grow Tomato. Trying to make up a list for the Fall Garden.

Thanks in Advance!
96% of you all failed the test...and named 2, 3, 4, 5, or 9 varieties! My answer on the other hand is: Cherokee Purple....or Pink Brandywine, or....oops.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2015   #74
HCWithAltitude
Tomatovillian™

I see I must add Cherokee Purple to my long wish list for next year...

HWA
HCWithAltitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2015   #75
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Lol Ed. I put just one. (Porter) because I'm growing ALL the others and don't know what they taste like yet
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote