Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 4, 2015   #1
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Default Most Prolific Black Tomato

Ok guys, I know you all love those opinion based questions that everyone has a different answer on and many of you will disagree on...

So which tomato is the most prolific black tomato that doesnt crack much? I am looking for a really prolific black that is not a cherry but is at least 4oz.
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Noire De Crimee is a heavy producer of 4-8 oz black round fruits with square looking green shoulders. Very different from Black Krim.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #3
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Noire De Crimee is a heavy producer of 4-8 oz black round fruits with square looking green shoulders. Very different from Black Krim.
Very curious now.. Thanks to the great swap, I got some of these seeds and will try growing them this season.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #4
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Simple answer... Carbon.

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #5
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Black from tula gets my vote!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #6
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I will second carbon and add black sea man. Of course black sea man is a determinate so it pumped out alot of tomatoes for about 2 months or so.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #7
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Very curious now.. Thanks to the great swap, I got some of these seeds and will try growing them this season.
I'm very curious now too......and I had always thought Noire de Crimee was the same as Black Krim. I've got my blacks all selected for my 2015 garden. I've been growing Black Krim for a number of years and will be trying 5 more blacks this year to see if there is one I like better or is about the same on flavor, but more production.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #8
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

My vote is for Paul Robeson.
It did not crack approx 75 percent of the time. It's delicious and was a good producer.
80 to 90 days from transplant. Fruit size is from 6 to 12 OZ.
Old February 5, 2015   #9
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

Last year my top producing (and best tasting) was Blue Ridge Black. It had zero cracking and weighed 12-16 oz.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #10
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

For me it is consistently black and brown boar. They barely meet your size requirement, but, produce a TON of 4-5 oz fruit and do so under tough weather conditions...hot, cold, they don't care!

Also prolific for me is J.D.'s Special C Tex.

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #11
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Negrillo de Almoguera & Grosse Verte Rose!

Tried Negrillo de Almoguera last season against 6 other blacks and its production and resistance to cracking were outstanding. Fruits are large (10-24 oz.) and perfect.

http://www.secret-seedcartel.com/car...o-de-almoguera

Grosse Verte Rose was also super productive and crackless and about a week earlier than Negrillo de Almoguera. Over half the fruits exceeded one pound with the largest 29 oz.

http://www.secret-seedcartel.com/car...sse-verte-rose

I've tried dozens of black varieties since 2010 and these are the most noteworthy so far. According to your description, it sounds like you might be interested in a smaller tomato, though, whereas I prefer the larger slicers.

kath

Last edited by kath; February 5, 2015 at 10:47 AM.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #12
Longlake
Tomatovillian™

In my garden, the top black tomatoes are Black from Tula and Pink Berkeley Tie Dye. Both of them hit a flavor profile that I really like, produce very well, and aren't prone to much cracking. Purple Russian is another prolific one, a plum-shaped black/purple that has absolutely no issue with cracking and the taste is decent.

Love the question and will be watching to see what makes the list!
Old February 5, 2015   #13
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patihum View Post
Last year my top producing (and best tasting) was Blue Ridge Black. It had zero cracking and weighed 12-16 oz.
Oh, interesting. NDC wasnt my best tasting, just best producer. Pat, I consider you to be an authority on black tomatoes, so I'm listening.
Old February 5, 2015   #14
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I also have to agree with Black and Brown Boar, it is also producing it's little head off! Good flavor too.
Old February 5, 2015   #15
bower
Tomatovillian™

Chernomor - the indeterminate 'Black Sea Man' is a heavy producer that loads up early, but many are oddly shaped and for sure it's not crack free. On the other hand, Indian Stripe (favourite for taste) was decently productive and had very perfectly shaped and crack free fruit all season (except an early catfaced fruit).
Black Russian cracked really badly here and at my friend's farm - it was panned as a useful commercial tomato due to the severe cracking problem. Plenty of fruit, but....
A medium sized productive black which the farm grew several years was Brazilian Beauty. Nicely shaped fruit, bigger than BR but smaller than CP, a brown black with nice flavour and appearance.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote